Recent

Author Topic: Jackson Big Tuna  (Read 8966 times)

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
Jackson Big Tuna
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:53 am »
Had the new Jackson Kayaks Big Tuna out today for the first time. Great boat, the many different seating positions and options are awesome. Super stable, no problem to stand in. For a big boat it paddles really well, one person can early paddle it while the other fishes. With both people paddling it has really good glide.

The seat arrangement that me and the GF liked best was the rear seat all the way back and in the low position for easier paddling and more stability. The front seat either forward and raised or turned aft and raised for easier casting and talking.

This boat is going to be really popular with the father son/daughter crowd or Mr, Mrs teams.

Paddles really well solo too with the seat moved to the middle in either high or low position. Even did some stand up paddling on it, more than enough stability. Only draw back for solo paddling other than some extra drag in the water would be that a cart would is almost a must for moving it any sort of distance on land.

I will post up a full review and more pics on the WCK blog:

http://westerncanoekayak.blogspot.ca/
westerncanoekayak.com

ryan (at) western canoe kayak (dot) com

Hobie, Jackson Kayaks, Wilderness System, Ocean Kayak, Clipper Canoes, Werner, Kokatat, Adventure Technology, and I'm sure there is more.
Fraservalleywhitewater.com

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
Re: Jackson Big Tuna
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:39 am »
Sweet Ride!
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:48:13 am »
looks good. Is that Mills Lake?

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »
No we went to hicks lake by Harrison. Sweet spot for sure. had the entire lake to ourselves, could be because of the rain though??

Im thinking its a good spot to go for the kayak fishing weekend I want to put together this summer. Nice camp sites, group sites and easy access for launching kayaks from the camp site.

Lots of fish jumping and Sandra tied into one for a while but got away. I was able to maintain my 2012 fish-less streak that I have going. If it wasnt for the paddling part of this whole kayak fishing thing I might have started to get board  :P

Ryan
westerncanoekayak.com

Hobie, Jackson Kayaks, Wilderness System, Ocean Kayak, Clipper Canoes, Werner, Kokatat, Adventure Technology, and I'm sure there is more.

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:41:53 pm »
Any idea of dates for the kayak fishing weekend?
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline abtrout

• Greenhorn
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »
Thanks for posting this! I've been trying to decide what sit on top to buy and the Jackson Cuda and Big Tuna are at the top of my list. I have kids 6 and 3 years old and taking them out occasionally makes me lean toward the Big Tuna. It may be a bit heavy but the cuda isn't exactly a lightweight kayak either. I may have to rent both if possible in Calgary to help me make a decision. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:34:00 pm »
Thanks for the review

I am falling in love with that boat.  For all the reasons that you mentioned.

Cheers

Derek

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:56:14 am »
Well i have a few more days now in the Tuna, and Im still loving it. Your right about the Cuda not being the lightest kayak int he world either, kinda putts the weight of the Tuna in perspective. Me and the GF are now talking about buying one so we can rig it up with some goodies instead of just poaching the demo ride ;)

We had the Tuna at the MEC paddle fest here in Vancouver and it was a big hit for sure, sold one the next day and have a few other people coming in to have another look this week.

One thing i have noticed that to me is an improvement over the Coosa and the Cuda is the flat areas on this boat for mounting stuff to, no shortage of room on this thing. Rigging this will be a breeze compared to previous models.

Hope t have some more pictures soon, who knows, maybe even some with fish in it!
westerncanoekayak.com