Recent

Author Topic: fluorocarbon as leader  (Read 3385 times)

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
fluorocarbon as leader
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »
Thinking about using fluorocarbon line for my leader. I currently use Power pro braid on all my reels. What would be a descent fluorocarbon to use as a leader?

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
Re: fluorocarbon as leader
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »
Most fluros are good quality but I always go up in weight as they have less stretch than mono.

The one thing that does make a difference is the knot, personally I use an Albright and it has never let me down, it also leaves a neat (weed free) finish.

http://youtu.be/vyoayxB6D7M
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:45:45 pm by Axor »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »
I start with about three feet of fluro leader and then cut it back as it gets chewed up by fish. Always check for frays and abrasions after each fish or you will likely end up donating tackle to the lake bottom. I use a double uni knot between my braid and fluro, but it can become a big ugly knot when using heavier fluro's (30# and up). I use Trilene and Vanish, no problems with either.

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »
I've also had good luck with Vanish as well.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »
Not really a fluoro, but you might want to check out the Berkley Nanofil - this stuff has virtually no stretch at all and it's super responsive.  It's a tad pricey, but if you're just using it for a leader I find that it lasts a good while.
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline rocketball

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »
thanks for the info guys. I was at ctire today and looking at fcarbon line. Its resembles mono but no stretch. It also seems like it wouldnt be as easy to tie knots as the braid is.

Does fuorocarbon have much memory and is it tougher than Braid?

For example i use #30 braid on most of my rods. So what would or should I use for strength in a fluorocarbon leader?

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
Don't know what anyone else thinks, but I think braid is tougher than fluoro, IMHO, but seriously do a google search on the nanofil and you'll find that it's sort of a cross between braid and fluoro.  It's super tough, super responsive, and I use braid on most of my rigs and I generally use 10lb nanofil as leader and it works incredibly well.  I've had some decent fish drag this stuff over fairly rugged cover and not do any damage to it at all. It's also extremely lightweight and easy to tie.
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline rocketball

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:21:46 pm »
i checked out Nanofil line. Looks interesting and like other line has its pros and cons. People claim it has high memory just like fluorocarbon and mono. Thats one of the first reasons i switched from mono to braid a few yrs ago. Others claim braid is just as strong as the others but will fray eassier. Maybe I'll just stick with Braid. It works for me

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:07:42 am »
If you tie your tackle directly to your braid, the line is visible in the water. With a couple feet of fluro - which is really hard to see in the water - there is a visual separation between bait and line giving a more realistic presentation. I have not noticed any stretching on fluro like regular mono has. As far as abrasions go, your leader is taking the punishment instead of your braided line. Either way, you need to check it for nicks and cuts after each battle - learned that lesson last year after donating lures to the lake.

Alan

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:05:18 am »
I use fluoro on all my fly fishing set ups which is usually mono leader to flouro tippet.  The beauty of flourocarbon is that it is very dense which allows it to sink faster than braid and mono.  Although it is quite abrasion resistant, it does fracture if it is dragged across rocks, etc. and this will cause break offs quickly. Its great for using on spooky fish because it has a refractive index like water which makes it invisible to fish. (so they say).   

My experience with flouro is great but you MUST keep the line well lubed with saliva when tightening as it melts quickly.  Also, don't tie knots that will kink the line at all as this may cause fracturing and then break offs.  I usually use a triple surgeons knot for my mono to flouro connections.  It's just easier.  When I have used it with braid lines I usually just use a small swivel to tie each line to as I find braid a bit of a pain in the rear to tie anything to.  Just my issue though.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 04:35:59 am »
Anyone know anything about Suffix Ghost?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sufix_832_Braid_Ghost/descpage-S832G.html

dunno if this could possibly replace using leaders

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »
i have seen but not yet used the Suffex ghost line. i`m not sure it would be any better than camo braid, but we will see.

i use copolamar mono and floro a lot for stripers - not as much memory as either, good casting, abrasion resistant, and almost invisible to the fish. i`m using this in 20-35lb line. when i use floro for leader, it`s either because of fussy, bait shy fish, or because of the tooth/gill plate factor like braid, it`s a good idea to super glue the knots. floro does make a more bulky knot, so keep this in mind.

i have used several brands, some designed as line, other as leaders.  i saw a clip on wfn that said 12-14lb is about as heavy as floro goes while still "ìnvisible", something i had not heard on any of the adds, so when i go heavier now, it`s the copolamar rather than strait floro most times, unless i`m looking for the fastest sink rate.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Tags: