Recent

Author Topic: Older Tarpon 140 w/rudder review  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
Older Tarpon 140 w/rudder review
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »
This was and is my first sit on top kayak.  Much more practical for year round fishing and of course much heavier than a sit in.
I bought it used in the fall of 2010 and have had lots of fun in it.   I think it is a 2004.  I got the 140 as an all around kayak for both lakes and rivers and it hasn't disappointed.

This kayak is known to have a wet ride.  there is always some water in the footwells, probably up to half an inch.  I think this is mainly because the forward scupper is only 1.5 inches thick so it just naturally lets water in.  I haven't found this a problem and the fish seem to like it :)

I have had this kayak out in some rough weather and it feels very stable and I haven't had any worries.  It is very comfortable to sit side saddle in.
I find it comfortable enough for an all day fishing trip

Even though it is an older kayak it's held up to the abuse and should have lots of good years left in it
I have had to replace the rudder control wires as well as the cord that raises and lowers the rudder.  All replaced after they had failed :o

I would recommend the Tarpon 140 for people that need one kayak that can manage medium size rivers as well as the great lakes.  It isn't perfect for either but you can easily get by and have some fun catching fish.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:15:03 pm by Dave »
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
Re: Older Tarpon 140 w/rudder review
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:23 pm »
Hey Dave, you have had a lot of fun out of that yak, awesome review. :)
The Perception Search line is very similar.
I have a Search 13E ( 2010), capacity is 350lbs and you get wet in it too.  :)
But being low in the water makes it very stable and it tracks well.
( Like the paddle Dave  ;) )
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Tags: