Recent

Author Topic: Telescoping travel fishing rods?  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
Telescoping travel fishing rods?
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:08:36 am »
I'm doing a kayak trip in Gwai Hanas National Park (Queen Charlottes) next summer and need a medium-heavy telescoping fishing rod for the occasion. Not a 4 piece, but telescoping. Bass Pro has a medium weight one in their brand and I've found other medium weight rods online as well but with so many joints in a telescoping rod I suspect that the strength would be inadequate. I'm not likely to catch any big chinook salmon but who knows - more likely is bottom fish up to 7-8 lb and coho up to 15 lb max. BTW, the Bass Pro rod is only $20!!

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such a beast?
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
Re: Telescoping travel fishing rods?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:40 am »
Give LeBaron's a try.  If you have one locally that's great, but if not they also ship from within Canada so the duty etc., is not an issue.  I find that they generally have a good selection in their catalogue and their pricing is competitive.  Just sayin ...
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:36:33 am »
some of those telescoping rods will suprise you,I had a cheap one for years I got from CT and I was suprised the abuse it took and with todays technology I suspect they only got better.....perhaps!

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:32:48 pm by phattrick »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »
Thanks for the help, guys.

Phattrick, all but one of those rods have their model numbers end in M, presumably medium. The other one ends in ML - what do you suppose that means. If it was on my underwear it would mean mega-large!  ;D
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »
ML usually stands for Medium-light. Action is for fish between 1-4 lbs or if you need a sensitive action for light hits. smaller walleye rod or something.

Offline kayakman

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:42 pm »
Don: I am also in the market for a travel rod. We are planning a trip to the OSA in Costa Rica in July. I need something that will handle large Rooster fish and mangrove species (corvina, snapper, grouper). I was planning on a four piece. Any reason I should be looking at a telescopic instead? Has anyone tried those short aluminum rods?

Tim

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:39:29 pm »
I bought a four piece for that kind of fishing. I can give a bad review on the http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-XML-Travel-Casting-Rods/1164617.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100297%26Ne%3D5100297%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtravel%2Brods%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dtravel%2Brods%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=travel+rods&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Honeslty used it the first time and the fuji guides came apart. I had no tape or anything to fix the problem so was forced into having my hand holding the reel in place while trying to jig and cast. Dont buy one they are a wast of cash. I got the 3/8 - 2 1/2oz rod.
Are you going to Osa to fish with Joe L. ? If so then you are gonna need a bigger one than the one I am talking about.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 02:29:57 pm »
Don: I am also in the market for a travel rod. We are planning a trip to the OSA in Costa Rica in July. I need something that will handle large Rooster fish and mangrove species (corvina, snapper, grouper). I was planning on a four piece. Any reason I should be looking at a telescopic instead? Has anyone tried those short aluminum rods?

Tim

This trip is primarily a touring trip with fishing as a sideline and I don't want to either; have to stop, retrieve the rod from where it's stored, put it together, then add the reel, lure, etc. when I want to fish; or have the rod all put together and secured on top of the sea kayak. With a telescoping rod it can be fully rigged and stored in my deck bag, ready for use en route in moments. Make sense?

Someone recommended to me to check out http://www.psfishing.com/rods.html where there is a good selection of telescoping rods, including heavier ones. A bit more money, even up to $250, but some good options.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Tags: