Recent

Author Topic: Kayak Transport finally sorted out :)  (Read 4100 times)

Offline PoCoDave

• Greenhorn
Kayak Transport finally sorted out :)
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »
Managed to finally get through a very workable system for transporting the kayak. Been through foam pads on the bare roof, Thule rack w/verticle kayak holders up to and including the expensive Thule Hullavator.

My OC Prowler 15 I feel is too heavy for the Hullavator to work as easily as it should. Also if you roof is arched slightly and has fixed rain gutter roof rack mounting brackets, you may find the Hullavator arms do not remain in parallel throughout their movement up and down (worked fine on the wagon but not so nice on the sedan shown).

I found that getting the yak on the roof was difficult at the end of long day and no I am not 25 anymore ;)

I followed this fine example of creating an aid that quickly helps in getting the yak up top.

Homemade Kayak Loader - Loading CarTop

Managed to test the setup out near SFU in Burrard Inlet just before year end.  It now consists of the aforementioned aids, Yakima Hully Rollers in the rear and Thule Set-to-Go pads in the front. These are mounted on Thule bars (most of the mounts can work on either vendor bars). Works quite fine for me. As a result a used Thule Hullavator is now for sale!

Safe paddling and tight lines!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:25:17 pm by PoCoDave »

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Kayak Transport finally sorted out :)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »
Those suction cups look great! Thanks for sharing this with everyone - should save others a lot of trouble  :)
Kamloops, BC

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:58:41 am »
if you havent seen this one.  this is a rig i made.. and would likely work on your vehicle as well

Kayak Loader for SUV`s. Hobbit Roller In Use.

there is a thread about it on here too:
http://canadiankayakanglers.com/yak'-rigging-tips-and-tricks/kayak-loaders-for-hobbits-(diy)/

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »
both are very good and useable ways to get the yak up on the roof. much easier on the paint job too!
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:38 am »
You may not have the same problem getting to the water edge but a lot of the time we use C tugs, so when loading the yak we can put these upside down no the trunk and roll the kayak on using the wheels.
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam