Recent

Author Topic: Double Stacking Kayaks  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
Double Stacking Kayaks
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
Just added to my fleet, picked up an old Sun Swell SOT kayak for the kids to use, and so I can drag out other family and friends to follow me around while I'm fishing some days.

I have the Malone Sea Wings on my roof rack, what is the best way to stack this new kayak (it's 10 feet long) on top of my 13 foot OK Trident? I assume I'm just throwing it on top (easier said than done), then strap it down to the roof rack the same way I normally do with the Trident? Should I consider getting a J-rack or something to add to the rack for the times I need to carry both kayaks?

Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: Double Stacking Kayaks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:22:36 am »
dont double stack on that seawing... they have a max capacity,and your trident is right around that threshold.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:12 am »
Is there room beside your seawing to have your new kayak mounted upside down on your rack bars?

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:29:49 am »
Thanks John, I had no idea the seawings had a 70 pound limit on them. I'm going to have to check the weight limit on my bar system too, this new little kayak is a heavy bugger for it's size.

I will have to look at what options I've got, I'm sure there's room for one of those J-racks, I'll have to see if I could fit another seawing or similar up there. I don't think the new one will be able to go upside down on the bars though because the backrest is built in and would keep it from sitting tight to the bars in any way.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:31:50 am »
no worries dude... I didnt want to see you ruin them lol.
imo, the bars alone should be fine... i had mine and Pauls T15's on my racks and it was great... and ours would be heavier then yours give the 2 extra feet there.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:15:06 pm »
i ran 2 kayaks side by side on my racks all summer this year with no problems although you do have to be carefull how the front tie down is rigged. i`ll see if i can find some pictures to show you.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

jediangler

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »
 :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:28:17 pm by jediangler »

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:36:03 pm »
are they to wide to run side by side? here is a shot of how i do it for the stern ropes, i`m still looking for a bow picture.

nice shot of double stacking yaks by the way!

this first shot shows how i tie the sterns, using them to keep each other tight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

these next two give you a bit of an idea how i tie on the bows. please ignore the stern in these following shots as i was starting to take the yak off the car when i took the shots. you can see how one line runs from the other sides front while the other side of the yoke goes to the front side of the car rather than just to the front. you may have to play with the rope position a bit, the idea is to keep it stable and not sway around, at the same time not to run over/wrap the rope with the wheels. always yoke at least the bow. you can`t see it very well but there is a bungie running from bow to bow also.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:00:31 pm by ipop »

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »
I use the Thule 5201 Kayak Stacker and just put them face to face, I have never had any problems stacking the like this or travel long distances.
You can leave them in situ and fold them down when not in use
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 04:03:03 pm »
hmmm, i`ve never used or seen the Thule, i`ll have to take a look at it. :)

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »
I'm waiting for Jeff to chime in with his opinion on the J-racks and other devices to stand the kayaks on their sides :)

I think my best bet for the space I have, and on account of me being short and needing to still be able to load these things on the roof will be to get a J-rack for the new kayak. It's only 10 feet long and shouldn't be affected too bad by the wind, and it's probably not going to be too often that I need the second kayak anyway. I just want to make sure I have something that works well when I want to use it, and isn't too hard for me to maneuver the kayaks around when I'm by myself.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »
other than for smaller yaks i don`t see much of an advantage with the Thule stacker, so i`m probabley missing something :o. anyplace extra to tie down to is good of course, and these would be quick for light driving. do you use bow and stern ropes too?

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:24:26 pm »
Never had to tie stern and aft with these  ;D they stay put even at 80mph not that you can do that there :-)
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 04:29:14 pm »
then maybe something like the thule or a set of j rakes would be best. i take advantage of the cross bar to help me load the yaks, some times resting one end on the bar, then going down to lift the other end up onto the rack and if needed, sliding or flipping it over into place. when i`m struggling with my arms i actualy take a small stool with me to stand on when getting the yak on and off the car (something my physiotherapist allows so long as i don`t do it to often...lol!)

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »
i would use a bow and stern line at hwy speeds but it obviously works fine for you as is. i`m a little leery when it comes to tieing on the yaks. about 25 years ago i had a stern line break as i pulled off of a paved road onto a rutted dirt road. when the line broke the yak slid threw the cross wise bungies, flew over the car, came to the end of the bow rope... and i ran it over! no damage to the yak other than an impressive tire track and i`m pretty sure i had to change my pants afterwards - holy cr*p!

Tags: Two SOTs