Recent

Author Topic: wading boot questions  (Read 3379 times)

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
wading boot questions
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:09:51 am »
Going to Cabelas in a few weeks and I want to pick up some wading boots. This will be a first for me so I have a few questions.

Felt or rubber bottom? the majority of the time I will be wearing these boots when kayaking but I will also be using them while stream/brook fishing. Which works best as far as grip goes between felt vs rubber bottoms?

Also should I buy cleats? A few boots I am looking at have the option of using cleats that screw into the bottom of the boot.

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
Re: wading boot questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:48:26 am »
I recommend the rubber bottoms. The felt ones, from my understanding are on the way out. As they can carry bacteria from system to system. I have a box of cleats that I keep in my yak gear box. And that is just in case. The rubber sole work great. I have used mine in all conditions. From my yak to the raging waters in Alaska and never have had a problem.

That's my two cents.

You Hook it, and I can cook it!!!!!
Pro Staff for Salmo Canada
Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:59 pm »
As far as felt vs rubber goes I believe the biggest issue is the spread of Rock Snot.Didymo is showing up here in Alberta and spreads like crazy.One of the causes it is said for the rate at which it spreads is blamed on felt bottom wading boots as they are very hard to clean compared to rubber.Places like New Zealand are having huge issues with it.The bonus as far as grip goes between felt and rubber should be outweighed by this issue.Just my opinion.

From a University of Calgary study :

"If it creates a change in the environment that does not allow water to move between the stream, down into the gravel where small bugs are living, then those bugs either will change — who's there and how many are there — or they may disappear almost entirely, and they represent the base of the food web for trout that live in the rivers."
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:38:21 pm »
I agree with what the others say.  The use of felt was because it doesn't slip as much on slimy and slippery rocks.  However the spread of didymo is becoming more and more of an issue.  Here in NB, it is listed in the fishing handbook every year as a growing problem.  Felt on the boots is considered a leading cause.  I've even heard some rumblings about the possibility that the government might consider prohibiting their use.  I've no idea if it is true or not, but I can see it happening.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »
i have also heard the rummors the felt will be banned.  i find they are by far the superior sole on slippery rocks and my solution has been to only use it in waters that already have rock snot. i had bought a pair just to use with my new foot-in waders  but i will find another boat (boot!lol!) for them.
they work so well on slippery rocks that when they don`t work and you slide, it`s a big surprise and you aren`t ready for it. they leave you over comfident.

rubber with high soft nubs/tread are the next best. some of these take the cleats too. unfortunatley the best of these will wear out quickly by their very nature. i`m always in search for my next pair of these. the ones i have now are almost worn out...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:51:39 pm by ipop »
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:04:01 am »
alright I'll stay away from the felt bottoms....Will the rubber bottom wading boat still be better on those slippery rocks than a rubber bottomed hiking/hunting boot? Only reason for buying a wading boot is so that I have something that grips the rocks better while fishing for brookies.

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:57 am »
The softer and spongier the sole the better the grip, However the softer and spongier the sole, the shorter the life span of the boot/sole.
Hiking boots tend to have harder soles for the rigours of the trail so they probably wouldn't have the grip of a softer soled wadding boot but will last a whole lot longer.
Cheers Rick
PS I've never seen a rubber bottom wading boat lol
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:57:42 am by phatrick »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:09 pm »
lol! ::) ;D
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
If I am wearing the waders then I use a rubber soled pair of boots designated for wading.. if I am in my yak then I wear my Burgeo boots (sp) which come up to the knee and allow a dry entry and exit from my yak in just about all shorelines.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Tags: