Recent

Author Topic: Ideas for tandem fishing kayak  (Read 5036 times)

Offline trident yaker

• Local Pro
Ideas for tandem fishing kayak
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:23:47 pm »
I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on a good tandem fishing kayak that can be paddled solo. I will be using it for multi day slow river fishing solo, touring lakes tandem, and solo and tandem fishing missions inland. I have my eyes set on jacksons big tuna, and a a tandem angler from native watercraft. heard anything about these kayaks?

Offline phattrick

• Old School
Re: Ideas for tandem fishing kayak
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:07:15 pm »
The native watercraft looks more like a canoe and the big tuna doesn't look like it has much storage,  Which could be an issue on multi day trips. But I guess it all depends what ya want. tandem boats are longer, and longer boats tend to suck on rivers as they're not as maneuverable as the 12 footers. But if the river is big enough and slow enough it shouldn't be a problem.  I thought OK made a tandem boat that was easy to use as a solo. But I'm not sure about that.   
Cheers Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline revd-up

• Greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:22:29 am »
My brother in law and I both have Hobie Mirage Oasis. We've both paddled and peddled them solo and tandem. I've had mine out on lakes, rivers and the ocean and I've been really happy with it's performance. I have rod holders, downrigger and ff all set up on mine and it works great whether I'm on my own or have my son out with me. You can cram a fair bit of stuff into the hull and a bit more on the back of the kayak. We've taken it out on multi day trips along with our canoe and though it can't haul anywhere close to what the canoe can, it speeds along a lot faster.

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:40:04 am »
The Big Tuna has some pretty cool features.Turning the Hi Low seats toward each other for face time seating is pretty cool in my book.Also the bait tank/cooler is wild.Not sure about storage space though as the only sightings have been of prototypes.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:47:43 am by Fishnhound »
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:50:01 am »
If you compare the specs on the tandems you should be able to make a good choice. Check this one out while you're at it,
http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_tandem.asp
Cheers and good shopping
Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline trident yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:43:02 pm »
Woa!..Thanks for the input. After cruizin the river the other day i realized i dont think i want a kayak longer than 12 feet. For the amount of time my kids going to be in a kayak for a couple years is minamal. Until then she can ride in front of me on my trident 11. I still need a kayak though for the wife? One that caters to a kid and has lots of storage space. Which is why Ricks idea wins with the malibu stealth. The thing has a spot for a kid to sit, pretty easy upgrading and some sweet storage. It almost has as much as my trident.

Anyway Rick where do i pick one of these hummdingers up at? I forgot.

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:48 am »
Darcy, You can contact Jack at stillcove@hotmail.ca and he can hook you up
or check out his website at
http://kayaksmanitoba.webplus.net/index.html
Cheers Rick
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline trident yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:46:35 pm »
So i just watched an interesting video on the stealth about leaky hatches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVaWkJGtz7c&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
Yeah but the video was made in 2009 right after the stealth came out, the leaky hatch problem was fixed shortly after. The new modles have no leaky hatch issues. I fixed the leaky hatch on mine with about 2 bucks worth of marine goop, by putting a dab on the rivet heads and running a bead around the outer edge of the offending hatch. Only one side hatch leaked but for the effort involved I did both. Short version they fixed that problem a looooong time ago
Cheers Rick
PS. if you take that much water over your hatches you better be in a submarine
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline trident yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:05:05 pm »
Cool thanks for the input. Good news to hear.

Offline trident yaker

• Local Pro
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:43:51 pm »
I talked to ryan at oceansports. He was looking for another good brand to bring in to his shop other than ocean kayak. He was going to check out malibu kayaks. hopefully he picks up malibus line.

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »
they're looking for a Canadian distributor, and Canadian dealers, so who knows, it would be good to see.
Cheers Rick
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Tags: