Recent

Author Topic: Adventure Island  (Read 7783 times)

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
Adventure Island
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:49:33 am »
Wanted to ask the AI guys a few questions and thought I'd start a new thread instead of continuing that other one.  Wayne do you find the tramps catch wind when its really blowing or are they no safety concern?  After this weekend I am looking at getting at least one of them for holding gear and stretching out on but I could see how in really heavy wind they might encourage the boat to lift.  And Richard, you said you removed your crossbars from the yak, is that pretty straight-forward?  Are they just threaded screws holding them in and is it something you could remove and put back in without compromising the kayak at all?  I was thinking of removing the bars for lake fishing next spring and not putting them on until salt water season.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Adventure Island
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:11:40 am »
The tramps create very minimal if any concern catching wind. I think you'll find them very useful. If there ever was a situation where you thought this was happening, you can quickly unbuckle them and roll them up to the front aka. You will see what I mean when you get them. They are so well constructed...

In my strong personal opinion do not remove those xbars unless you're thinking it's going to be a semi-permanent thing. They are bolted down with loctite and it will just increase wear and the chance of something getting lost etc.

I made and had some brackets and plates welded on the rear crossbar for downrigger and Scotty rod holders. Made it more useful instead of being in the way.
Kamloops, BC

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:15:29 am »
I just picked up two of the rod extenders from the local Hobie dealer.  I'm hoping that the extra height lets the rods sit out of the way of the main line.  I'm going to strap my rods from now on though just to be safe.  I also asked them if they'd sell a single tramp but no luck, only as an extremely overpriced set.  Might have to buy a single on ebay or something although I'm not crazy about that, but I can't justify $400 for two of them.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:24 pm »
Yeah, I would hold up on that buy. They're not cheap but $400 seems a little much. Sorry you lost some gear. With that main sheet running to the back and going from side to side it's trickier to have the rods back there. It's one reason I have gone to a snap connection and pre-tied everything with the salt gear. That way I'll try to only have two rods with me at any one time. I was only able to pick up one of those extenders myself but they're good at keeping them more out of the way and above as much salt spray. The other rod goes in a ram tube on an adapter on one of the rear plates on the same side if it's not in the front trolling holder. This keeps it way off to the side and adjustable. You'll figure out what works best for you. There's no AI fishing manual...you're helping to write it :D
Kamloops, BC

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:53 pm »
Yes there are 4 SS socket head cap screws for both the front and back brackets.  I screw them back into the thread, which is a steel insert molded into the kayak hull.  The only comprimising of the equipment is when you strip the head of the screw like I did because they are too tight.  Just make sure you are using the correct size allen key and that it is seated into the head of the screw all the way when you loosen the screws.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »
I wanted to revive this thread as I am contemplating buying an AI. I have lots of questions but first of all --for those people who have one, what are your impresssions of them as a fishing machine? and--Where might you put a downrigger if you fish with one?
Thanks,
Tom
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:36 pm »
Well I wish I was on mine right now, that's for sure.

If you're fishing the salt where you are, I think there's nothing that compares. I did pm you so I won't go into the same detail, but the downrigger is a pain to set up but the returns on it are huge.

You can troll full sized salmon tackle with very little wind. Without the sail, the drag of flashers at depth is simply a workout you need to experience to understand.

The AI can handle very rough conditions and so long as you furl the sail in to reduce it's area when you need to slow it down or reduce weather helm, you'll be comfortable in conditions that would cause a regular SOT some concerns.

It is a pain in the ass to haul around, there's no doubt about that.

If you're camping somewhere for a few days, then having it on the roof and setting it up is ok. If you're just going for the day, then you will really want to have a trailer - probably with a set of the Hobie cradles.

It's not for everyone, but if you're the type of person that finds reward in doing something under your own power,hearing nothing but the waves and whine of a downrigger line while you wait for a salmon to smash your hook, then it could possibly be for you :)
Kamloops, BC

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »
Thanks for the input--pm sent.
Tom
Metchosin BC

Offline FishWhisperer

• Seasoned Angler
    • The Fish Whisperer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »
the drag of flashers at depth is simply a workout you need to experience to understand.

Amen brother.  I have to think of a new plan for this summer.  My arms can't take that paddling again.
Len Zilkowsky
www.thefishwhisperer.ca

Chilliwack, BC

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:40:09 pm »
I've got an AI waiting for me at the dealers - bought & paid for - just waiting for spring! I used to curse the daily winds that come up every afternoon, but I think I'll be cheering them on this summer. Our Hobie Outback and Hobie Sport will spend lots of time on the truck rack exploring new waters, but the AI will stay at the lake - it looks like a bit of a bear to put on an overhead rack.
I did get the Hobie cradle to make a light hand-trailer to move the AI over the rocks for storage near the shore, and a set of tramps.
BTW - for a light duty downrigger, I use a very short & stiff rod (old rod cut down) with an inexpensive Cabelas line-counter reel loaded up with braided line and a small ball-weight and a tension clip. I just put it in a rodholder, so there's no need to mount a bracket to the Hobie. Then I clip the line from my 'main rod' to that. Works like a charm on lake trout - don't see why it wouldn't on salmon in the chuck.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:16 pm »
Thanks Thumper--I have my dad's old scotty downrigger circa the '80's which I have used on my Revo a few times--it seems to do well with a 5 lb ball and braided line in the salt. I might go to a 6 lb ball. What impressed me about the AI videos I've seen from Australia and Hawaii is the size of waves and weather they can safely take. I live on Juan de Fuca strait here on Vancouver Island and the westerly kicks up almost every afternoon like clockwork, so the AI might be the ticket. I'll have to look into the Hobie cradle and maybe retrofit it to a trailer I have access to.
T2
Metchosin BC

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:02:41 pm »
I am an AI owner, though I bought my AI for sailing and kayaking only.  That was until I decided to fish out of the kayak.

That was in 2008 and I haven't set up the AI since.  This year I am parking my trailer for the whole season on Lake Erie in Wheatley, Ontario where you can experience some of the best Walleye and Steelhead fishing on the Great Lakes during July and August.  I will be leaving the sail, amas and akas at my trailer so I can set up easy for Lake Erie trolling.  Just today I rigged a 1073 Scotty Laketroller for my kayak.  Since I only need to get to 30' - 45' foot depths i will be using a 3lb weight.  If it works out I may add a second, I have already mounted a scotty mount on both sides of the kayak just behind the seat.

I just came back from working a show in London 2 weeks ago where we had a 2012 AI on display.  There are some differences from the 2007 version that I have.  The biggest being the rudder.  It is longer and is no longer the stow and go rudder.  Not sure I like it but the new cross beams that hold the amas and akas is an improvement.

I did order the trampolines which will be great for going on long outings, might even have to take out my new fishing buddy.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline baysel

• Gear-hooker Upper
  • Local Pro
    • Western Canoe Kayak
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »
The new rudder apparently holds a lot better, Hobie actually sent us kits to retrofit all the boats we had in stock and the ones we have sold in the last 2 years. The fold flat style of the old rudder is nice though for sure. Anyone have issues with the old rudder not staying down at higher speeds?
westerncanoekayak.com

ryan (at) western canoe kayak (dot) com

Hobie, Jackson Kayaks, Wilderness System, Ocean Kayak, Clipper Canoes, Werner, Kokatat, Adventure Technology, and I'm sure there is more.
Fraservalleywhitewater.com

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:19 am »

I did order the trampolines which will be great for going on long outings, might even have to take out my new fishing buddy.

I'm picking up the tramps this month as well, one of the reasons being I'm hoping that my dogs will stay put on them long enough to sail out and do some island camping with them.  I also have a 2007 or 2009 model, I don't know how to tell as I got it second hand.  I'm putting in my accessory order this week, so far I've got this on the list:

- Black trampolines
- 10x rudder pins (old style) - can't seem to find anyone in canada shipping the new style with the notch in the top
- Various scupper plugs and hardware
- Hobie Gear Bucket
- Large Sailing Rudder ( http://www.austinkayak.com/products/542/Hobie-Large-Sailing-Rudder-Blade.html )

I have to check my rudder when I get home.  I'm almost positive I do not have that rudder on my boat now as it was all stock and the rudder seems much smaller.  If that is the case I will definitely opt for the larger sailing rudder.  I imagine the only downside will be breaking more rudder pins when sailing upwind as there will be more pressure with the larger surface area.  On that note has anyone ever locked their rudder down when sailing?  I didn't notice that the thumb screw on the stow-and-go rudder was for that until after the season ended so I never got to try.  I have to assume that doing that would cause a lot of broken pins as well.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:13 am »
Anyone have issues with the old rudder not staying down at higher speeds?

Yes, so I would have to cleat it in so long as there was no danger in hitting bottom.

I would be interested in looking at an upgrade if you have the kits Ryan. We will be coming past you guys in less than a couple weeks for a much needed getaway. Do you have any in stock for retail?
Kamloops, BC

Tags: