Recent

Author Topic: Trolling for Salmon - Can't shake the skunk.  (Read 3290 times)

NuCanoe

Trolling for Salmon - Can't shake the skunk.
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:57:32 am »
So......I've been out trolling\mooching for salmon a combined total of over 40+ hours these last two weeks and still haven't managed a single fish, that's right....40+ hours, like a day job. SIGH.

I know there are lots of salmon around because the countless boats around me at any given spot seem to be doing quite well, so I am clearly doing something wrong. My garmin is clearly showing the bait balls, and the subsiquent salmon that are chasing them.  Does anyone have any advice? I've been fishing the breakwater, Albert Head, Otter Point, and around the mouth of Esquimalt Harbour, and I've fished every depth range imaginable.

The only thing I can figure is that the fish are simply more responsive to trolling right now, and I've been primarily mooching. When I do troll, I don't think I am getting deep enough and that may be my problem.

I am going to switch my tactics up to a smaller flasher and a double deep six to try to get deeper and see how that goes. I am worried that the full size flasher was simply creating too much drag to get deep enough.

Does anyone have any real world experience chasing Chinooks and Coho in deep water from a kayak? Any advice is appreciated, even some of the methods used by kayak anglers in the great lakes and some of the other large freshwater lakes around the country.

Thanks.

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
Re: Trolling for Salmon - Can't shake the skunk.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:38 am »
Nucanoe--you are right--you are not deep enough for the springs you are targetting. You either have to get a downrigger hooked up or go out where the pinks are going by where a deep six will work just fine. The easiest launch for pinks might be off whiffen spit in sooke and then go out to 4 or 500 feet of depth on your sounder. Pick a calm day with no fog (not easy--there's a reason they name this month Fogust!) I FINALLY have my yak rigged with a downrigger and sounder to give it a whirl. don't ask me how long it's taken. ::)
T2   
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline gl_yak

• Southern Ontario Trip Planning
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Daniel
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:25:37 pm »
You don’t have to use downrigger to get your lure deep.
I am using torpedo divers on Great Lakes with good success, here is link

http://www.torpedodivers.com/

but don’t follow their instructions about rigging, those are for  power boats and not practical for kayak .
Make three-way rig, 1’-2’ down goes torpedo ( I am using “Shark” 4oz) and 6’-7’ leader with large spoon behind ( length of leader depend how long is your rod so you can lend fish) use 1’-2’ shorter leader than your rod.
Now you need reel with line counter, look at sonar and drop torpedo down where your target fish is.You don't need to go fast(your line will go up) just relaxed pace
Good luck

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:28:56 pm by gl_yak »

Offline Ravenim8

• Greenhorn
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:49 pm »
Hi guys, my first year in a yak, I to use torpedeos as well, awsome, I run two different sizes at the same time,helps me with quick turns. Im trying a canon mini downrigger tomorrow. I"m out of Oakville, fishing lake ontario. i'm running two moochin rods and loving it. keep mixing it up until you find what is working. have fun, cheers Raven

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:49:30 pm »
Hi Raven, I too will be fishing Oakville, let me know if you wana hook up.

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:53:04 pm »
Daniel we have to get together for salmon or trout fishing this year. i could do a good job cooking those babies up . yum yum.

Offline gl_yak

• Seasoned Angler
  • Daniel
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:08:38 pm »
No problem shooter, just get ready for long ride, you won't find them in Detroit River

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:14 pm »
Hey, I am planning on some April/May trips to Jordan area for spring Salmon/Trout.  Day trips working with late (sure bet) weather  forecasts leaving  at 3 or 4am and coming home early evening.  It take 3 1/2 hours to get to launch from Windsor, we can fish for 7 or 8 hours and be home by 6 or 7pm.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 08:26:32 am »
im up for this. daniel heres a picture you might find interesting. my son and friends spring 2008 grand marais drain right behind the tim hortons on curry in south windsor good old rainbow making its way up. was told by great institute a fluke. but since this time in spring i have chased many up the creek all the way to dougall ave. ive also seen rainbows in spring in crystal bay. outta season though

Offline gl_yak

• Seasoned Angler
  • Daniel
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:06:36 am »
That's nice rainbow.
I caught small Coho Salmon at Peche Island couple years ago but it's hard to find them here

Offline shooter

• Old School
  • live for today
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:14:40 pm »
two yrs ago i also caught a coho at east end bend and i didnt have a clue what it was until i got home. tasted great

Offline chefbrianj

• Greenhorn
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 07:17:28 am »
hey Shooter have family in port credit ont.  credit river runs into lake ontario and is full of salmon during the run . can make a call and get info from rodger who is an avid angler and lives steps from river. Can you say road trip