Recent

Author Topic: Chinook from a kayak  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Jason Holweg

• Local Pro
Chinook from a kayak
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:50 pm »
I was hoping that someone with a little Salmon experience could give me the best method for landing these beasts. I could potentially get into one with some of the waters I will be fishing this year. Want to be ready if that happens.

Thanks

Jason
He who misses the most days of work, catches the most fish.

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
Re: Chinook from a kayak
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:42 pm »
Jason

There are a bunch of us camping at Rondeau Park and hoping to get into some Steelhead, starting June 30, this Thursday.  They aren't Salmon but some of the same trolling tactics.  Getting your line down deep to the depth you are targeting and using 2 rods (3 rods allowed on Michigan side of Erie,LSC, and Lake Michigan).  the advanced forecast looks real good and I don't see any real hot days over the long weekend.  It would be a good training ground for going after Salmon.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline lloyd

• Greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:56:17 pm »
In Nanaimo we are regularly landing 20lb plus springs from our sit in Kayaks, originally I just hand bombed them in, slid hand up the gill plate avoiding the gill rakers and using their own power slid them into my cockpit. Also when I have company we net for one another. its a lot easier than it sounds but the loss ratio is high

Offline tsquared

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish worship--is it wrong?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:20 pm »
I use the net you can see in my avatar. I play them until they are no longer green, get them within range and then snake out the net with one hand while holding the rod in the other. Once the salmon is in the net, I drop the rod in my lap pointing forward, turn the net sideways and celebrate!
T2
Metchosin BC
(Metchosin is a coast Salish word meaning "stinking fish")

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:34:57 pm »
No problem - play him til he's a bit tired then use the net. I cut down the handle of a long-handled retractable one for use in the yak.

Here's a 38", 24 pounder I caught caught a couple of years ago in the Humber River (Toronto) right under the Gardiner Expressway bridge. Took quite a while to land him. What a beauty!

Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Wannabefishing

• Enthusiastic Noob
  • Seasoned Angler
  • This is exercise, right?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »
Hard to believe you can catch something like that right in the GTA!
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Fish 24/7
Windsor, Ontario

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:39 pm »
No problem - play him til he's a bit tired then use the net. I cut down the handle of a long-handled retractable one for use in the yak.

Here's a 38", 24 pounder I caught caught a couple of years ago in the Humber River (Toronto) right under the Gardiner Expressway bridge. Took quite a while to land him. What a beauty!

There arent any words that come to mind to describe how big the smile on my face is looking at that picture..
Its nice to see you back on the site Red Rocket. Ive always enjoyed your posts (and a lil jealous).

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 04:19:03 pm »
Thanks, John. I always monitor this site and it's interesting to get viewpoints from right across the country but being in Toronto, the other forum has a lot more hookups and local content in my area. No offense, you're doing a great job with CKA as did Jeff before you. I'm just happy that both forums exist. Keep up the good work.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Tags: