Recent

Author Topic: sportrack rails w/ J style kayak rack picture  (Read 7308 times)

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
sportrack rails w/ J style kayak rack picture
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:24:15 am »
Picture of my corolla with OK T15 mounted on a sportrack system with J style rack. It took some friggin to get the rails mounted up to my car properly but once figured out it seems very solid. Took the rig for a rip out some back rds and up the highway to make sure everything stayed good and solid. Anything over 110 kmh and I could feal the kayak in the wind on the highway.

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
Re: sportrack rails w/ J style kayak rack picture
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:33:59 am »
Looks great.  You may want to have a backup plan to lay it flat in highwinds though.  It's probably secure enough but not much fun when it's really blowing.  Bought my Tarpon 140 when it was gusting to 70k and it made for a bit of a white knuckle drive home. 
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline k4l3

• Seasoned Angler
  • Prowler 13 Angler
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:03:16 am »
Used to us J-bars on my SUV but any cross wind soon proved it wasn't the best idea because car would do automatic lane changes not to mention on the bends/curve on hwy, speed wasn't the issue.

After few trips check your roof rack because mine started to bend under the stress of the Kayak acting like sails on the roof, pretty much they are ruin now.  Also check your car roof because the torque and stress on the mount.  Roof rack are rate for weight but not extra torque/stress put on it with a kayak acting like a sail.

Laying kayak flat is probably the best option if you planning on doing any long trips but if you just going down the road then J-bar be fine.

I purchase 2 set of J-bar to carry 2 kayaks but it was cheaper to just by 2x 74" black fence post rounded bar $8 rona which I mount on my roof rack when use kayaks.

Last time using J-bar, after trip driving home there was 80km/h wind and pretty much decide on laying the kayaks down after that. 

Couple weeks later after a trip to Algonquin park saw in the parking lot a car that used U-bolts and bars for an extended roof rack for 2 canoes which gave me idea to do the same.  Wish I thought of it previous year before buying the 2 J-bars and ruining my roof rack.

If you can still return J-bar I suggest you try too and purchase kayak wings/saddle instead.  If you need to carry 2 kayaks then extend bars.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:24:58 am by k4l3 »
Prowler 13 Angler
Downtown Toronto...

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:44:10 am »
That Volvo has the weirdest licence plate ive ever seen. they must do a lot of acid.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline rocketball

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:27:39 am »
Great info....but if the wind is calling for 20km or better I just stay home. I hate fishing in the wind and in our area a 20-25 km wind would be considered a windy day. I cant imagine going out in anything over 50km wind, I just wouldnt even consider it. You guys have more gutts than I  :o. Worse case cenerio if I do get caught in high winds I just take the J bars off and lay the Yak down. Majoirty of my hauls would only be 10-15 min as well. I will keep an eye on my racks and roof though. thanks

Offline k4l3

• Seasoned Angler
  • Prowler 13 Angler
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »
Great info....but if the wind is calling for 20km or better I just stay home. I hate fishing in the wind and in our area a 20-25 km wind would be considered a windy day. I cant imagine going out in anything over 50km wind, I just wouldnt even consider it. You guys have more gutts than I  :o. Worse case cenerio if I do get caught in high winds I just take the J bars off and lay the Yak down. Majoirty of my hauls would only be 10-15 min as well. I will keep an eye on my racks and roof though. thanks

It's not leaving your house to fish in 20km wind.   It's the surprise gush of 50-100km when you are on the hwy driving home that made me think twice about Jbars.   Even if there no wind I found that driving 110km/h when it calm the kayak on Jbar does sway, which does torque/stress to roof rack not to mention the drift coming from driving next to trucks.

From what I seen most ppl that started out using Jbar end up getting rid of them soon after.   Jbar are probably good for the narrow sea kayaks or smaller SIK like seen on the front of the box they came in but for SOT being 28-30" 12-16ft long and 70lb avg they are just too big for Jbars.

2 years ago Len's factory rack exploded with his Prowler 13 on Jbar running in 100km/h wind on way home, the good news is Ocean kayak are pretty tough, there was just a snatch on the kayak after he picked it up on side of road.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:07:51 pm by k4l3 »
Prowler 13 Angler
Downtown Toronto...

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:08:50 pm »
I used a stacker, which is similar to j-bars with our siks, they were much narrower and it was fine.  The tarpon and manta ray really catch the wind, it's a huge difference.
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:55:48 pm »
That Volvo has the weirdest licence plate ive ever seen. they must do a lot of acid.
What are you talking about? it looks fine to the rest of us
Rick
PS I knew a Syd...... great guy
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline rocketball

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:10:58 am »

It's not leaving your house to fish in 20km wind.   It's the surprise gush of 50-100km when you are on the hwy driving home that made me think twice about Jbars.   Even if there no wind I found that driving 110km/h when it calm the kayak on Jbar does sway, which does torque/stress to roof rack not to mention the drift coming from driving next to trucks.

From what I seen most ppl that started out using Jbar end up getting rid of them soon after.   Jbar are probably good for the narrow sea kayaks or smaller SIK like seen on the front of the box they came in but for SOT being 28-30" 12-16ft long and 70lb avg they are just too big for Jbars.

2 years ago Len's factory rack exploded with his Prowler 13 on Jbar running in 100km/h wind on way home, the good news is Ocean kayak are pretty tough, there was just a snatch on the kayak after he picked it up on side of road.

Cool...thanks for the heads up. My main reason for using the Jbars was so that I can fit 2 yaks on the car (mine and the wifes). We normally just kayak locally which is ussually only a few minute ride to the launch. No sense taking the truck with gas prices these days if u dont have too. Any longer trips I would prob be alone so I will take your advice and just throw the Yak on without the bars because I will only have the one. I also have the option of throwing the Yaks on the truck if I do plan a longer trip. Thanks again for the advice

Tags: