Recent

Author Topic: AOTY Rules and Regulations  (Read 11603 times)

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
Re: 2011 AOTY Rules and Regulations
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 11:00:49 am »
I'm watching Jeff's pictures scroll through on his avatar... I'm seeing a PFD in every one :)

That was me that emailed you about BT.
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
I shudder to think that ANYONE would look at my photo with or without a fish and think "Oohh I want to emulate that fat bastard" If there's a picture of a naked girl on a car, I look at the girl, If it's a pic of a guy with a fish, I'm lookin at the fish. I've watched a lot of T.V. fishin and can't remember ever seeing a pfd I'm not saying they weren't wearing one, I'm just saying I don't recall seeing it, it didn't register.  Remember I said I always wear mine and for a taste of hypocrisy I MAKE my son wear one and he's 23 and could put up a pretty good fight if he really didn't want to wear his. But he does, and I like to think he does because he knows it the right thing to do not because I tell him to.
( He has freedom of choice alright.... the freedom to choose to do what I say or suffer the wrath of angry dad....ooooooo"
PS I don't think any of this is directed negatively at ouird he threw out an idea and folks are responding. It's all good
Cheers Rick
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:06:56 am by phatrick »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:26 am »
What if it's a pic of a naked girl on a car holding a fish? Then what? :)
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 11:28:54 am »

Unless it is strategically placed... what fish?

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »
I'm not going to get into the discussion of whether we should or should not legislate.  I just wish those who make a choice don't try to blame others for the consequences.  BTW, that's not directed at anythng specific here, just "people" in general.  I've seen too many times where someone gets injured and sues because "somebody let them do something".

Anyway...

As said before... there are great pfd's available.  hey are light, comfortable and don't interfere with your paddling.  When I got my kayak I also got a great pfd.  I've worn it every time I've been out (except the time we were playing around on it at a beach - but then we were supposed to be going on and off the kayak).  I make a point of it.  I have young kids (lots of kids - good lord!) and while I can tell them the importance of wearing safety gear, it completely undermines the effort if I go out without one.  So I choose to teach/lead by example.  Fortunately the kids have followed suit and it is never a question about it.

I use my pfd to hold my knife, pliers, camera, spare batteries for my camera, etc.  It's convenient.  It's comfortable, and despite being one of those "big" guys, I've not felt it increases my heat level.  The sun does a very good job of that.  I wear a hat for the sun, and at the very least the pfd gives my body some protection.   The biggest problem I have with a pfd is that it is not shaped the way my body is, and as a result my belly pushes it up some.  When it does it enough for me to notice I pull it back down.

There is no question that a pfd is a good safety device.  Every year the statistics demonstrate this.  This year during fiddlehead season here near Fredericton, there was a small boat with I believe 6 people on board.  Unfortunately there was an accident and everyone ended up in the water.  2 people drowned.  Of the 6, these were the only 2 that chose not to wear a pfd.  I suspect most regions have had a story or two like that.

Eventually there will be enough deaths that the government will require wearing a pfd is at all times when on the water.  Just like seatbelts.  Just like bike helmets.  People will scream that they want a choice but it will be too late.  The best way to delay this from occurring is to minimize deaths on the water.  The best way to do that, ironically, is to wear a pfd.

ouird is right in that people (mostly kids) may look at sites like this and be influenced by it.  Sometimes subconsciously, sometimes not.  (But Mommm!  I don't want to wear a pfd... and look here is a picture of Jim Sammonds  and he isn't wearing one!)

Jeff is right. After landing that trophy fish and you want a picture, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to get your pfd on.  You want to get a good picture quickly and release the fish safe and sound.  If you are wearing your pfd this isn't an issue.

Personally I don't really get the argument that it is uncomfortable.  That is the same argument people said about seat belts.

I do get the argument about choice.  I like choices.  I hate to be told to do anything.  But I actually like to make choices based on logic.

I choose to wear a pfd for safety, and for setting a good example for my kids to keep them safe.

If I choose to not wear a pfd, and CKA required one for posting a picture (CKA's choice, not mine) then by choosing to not wear a pfd, I would also be choosing to not post a picture of the trophy fish I caught without the pfd.

Choices are good.  Make an informed one.

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:29 pm »
I hope this hasn't become a discussion about wether or not you should wear a pfd I don't think that was ouirds intention and I know it wasn't mine. As stated before I wear mine ALL the time. It's light, comfortable and gives me a place to put my pipe and um er tobacco, plus other less important stuff. This started as a discussion as to wether hero shots should be allowed with out a pfd. I'd be more worried about a kid seeing Johns homemade kayak and thinking "I'll build my own  , it's easy" ( I think it's a cool boat, but I'm smart enough to know that it ain't easy) we all agree pfd's are the way to go but if we're looking to 'send good messages' through our photos we can't stop here and must lengthen the list (here's the slippery slope) to include
No homemade boats
No fatty foods
No alcohol
No smoking of um er tobacco or anything else
No unkempt clothes or messy appearance
Do ya see where this is going.
The real question was and is
Do we allow hero shots with no pfd
I say yes although in my case it could be a moot point ( the whole couldn't catch a fish in an aquarium thing)
Don't mean to draw this out just want to focus on the real question yay or nay on the hero shots.
Peace, love and all that hippie shit
Rick
PS    'But mommm! I don't want to wear a pfd... and look here is a picture of Jim Sammonds  and he isn't wearing one!)
I can hear my mom now "I don't care what Tim Sammonds is wearing ( of course she'd get his name wrong) You're wearing one! If he jumped off a bridge I suppose you would too?

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »

Unless it is strategically placed... what fish?

LOL x2  depending on what she's doing with the fish I would'nt even see it. and don't ask what color her hair was......... She had hair?
Cheers Rick
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 04:43:38 pm »
Ok. haha. I think you all should sit down with Chris out here and chat for a tim hortons meeting. It would be good to get on tape :) haha.
What I will do on a CKA admin level is make sure that the trophy hero shots I use on the upcoming media that is public will be to weed out photos that dont have the PFD on. That way the world outside our forum sees only pfd shots with big fish :) Hows that sound. We are making a new website for our events and I am creating a bunch of public crap for our future growth and I will make sure to only represent us Canadians as trophy anglers with safety in mind and guys that enjoy a good naked chick pic :) That should satisfy everyone.
soon we are going to have to steer away from the women exploiting comments as our girl to guy ratio is on the rise. But until then :) What would you rather see in a hero shot? PFD or NOT.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »
lol!!!

i voted for the shot of the only lady at the NB paddlers tourney half because it was a good shot, but the other half was that it would be good to represent us. i expect about a 1/4 of my clients to be women and have looked into getting a female guide to work with me.

i always wear my pfd and i`ve actually been in a short pubic info tv bit about it and a commercial....and there was my nephew right after sitting on his, but that`s his choice....even if it`s not the smart one. i find most of the problem is comfort. between leg straps make them much better for the yak because they can`t ride up much. mesh tops and collars are good too. in the heavy rain, cold or even dangerous shore conditions, i wear a floater jacket. not as comfortable, a bit restricting, certainly more expensive, but it lets me fish alone in conditions i wouldn`t otherwise.

jeff has best solution to this, just don't use shots without it in promotions.

also, since i`m in a sis with no air tight compartment, i have to have it. i believe sot`s do not require one by dot rules as it is a sealed unit designed to float and not take on water by spashing. i think it also has to have a separate sealed float chamber, which they often have on sot`s for holding your stuff. my yak works under the rules of a row boat, which is basically keep it under 14feet and nothing else special applies. is it home made? i made it myself with drapers help, while we made one for him too (his is prettier), but after 20 or so yaks and almost 40 years building them, i wouldn`t call them home made. i was trained in boat building by NB`s master boat builder Grenville ring - those are the tools i learned on in the museum, i`m not a novice at this.  the one you guys saw was a prototype to test the deck design, the hull is actually very standard. i have been fishing in a simpler version of it for over 20 years, longer than most plastic sot producers have been around. that`s the one i fish in  while the client is in the lap o luxury new one, at least for another week while i build 2 more. one will most like be a test of yet another design - more curves, a bit less room.  i finalized the decal and business cards today for Cail`s Custom kayaks. it`s a business - small at the moment,  and of course growing pains, but they all start that way.

either way you are supposed to have a spare paddle of some kind, a noise maker and a floating throw line (and a pfd in sis`s). some times it says you have to have a light but that`s at a mile out i think. you can buy this hole list in a small kit/bailer at canadian tire - i just throw the kit in my boat - it`s still sealed. i think we can do without all of that in the pictures just fine.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Tags: