Recent

Author Topic: FLY RODS FROM A KAYAK  (Read 11180 times)

Offline Aussie Yaka

• Ultra Light
FLY RODS FROM A KAYAK
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:26:01 pm »
Hi fellas.  Some thing I havent attempted yet is to use the fly rod from my yak.

I am wondering what gear you use, is it purpose built ?

My rods are a 6# rod with a floating line, and also a 7/8# with either a floating or intremediate.

Both are the standard length, would they do the job ?

A Y

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
Re: FLY RODS FROM A KAYAK
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:45 pm »
I've used a 7wt, 8ft 6in rod several times in my SIK.  It can present some challenges, but once you find the groove you're good to go.  I don't win any awards for distance, but the kayak can put me close to the prey anyway so distance isn't a tremendouc concern.  The backlash can be a bugger when you screw up your rythym though - I've hooked my net a few times and my hat once or twice.  Not pretty, but it works.
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:00:53 pm »
Not sure if you have a SIK or SOT but the answer is definitely yes. Standard rods are fine and it won't matter too much whether you're casting a floating or intermediate line.

Once you get used to it, you can even stand while casting so long as it's calm enough. This is for the SOT only I would think lol. The only complication I have found is getting the right anchoring. I keep perfecting it and hopefully simplifiying it each time I'm out.  That's an issue here for rainbow but may be less for whatever you are targetting in your home waters.

I've had a number of people laugh a little when the topic of flyfishing from a kayak comes up, but I've actually found that it's forced me to become a better caster. I don't think I was 'keeping it on the shelf' as Lefty Kreh would say, as well as I should have when fishing from a regular boat. I didn't have to refine it at that point so I guess I never did.

Standing while gliding over the marl shallows, seeing a trout, and then crouching back down to anchor is awesome! Very stealthy.

The kayak doesn't limit you, it just makes you better  ;)
Kamloops, BC

Offline De-tension

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »
The hobie pa lets you stand to cast.  But I have even fished for pike with an 8 wt and big heavy pike flys by casting as far as I can into the weeds, then backing the kayak away from the weeds instead of stripping the line in.  That has produced for me and negated the need for really long casts.

Offline Aussie Yaka

• Ultra Light
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:44:55 am »
Thanks for the advice fellas, I will give it a go.  My Kayaks are the sit in fiberglass touring design so no standing.

It was my intention to use it to take me toa likely destination but this gives me greater scope.

We chase Bass and Golden Perch here.  Not in the same family as your Bass, if we get one at 50cm we are doing very well.  It wont be too long before someone hooke the 60cm, then he will be in the record books.

Impoundment fish, I think they keep on growing.

Thanks again  A Y

Offline Dorado

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:58:50 am »
Fly fishing from a kayak is one of the best ways to catch fish. I have now wiped the eyes of lure and bait anglers several times!
A few pictures, just to show it can be done.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Hall of Fame Moderator
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:48 am »
Some great pics. again Dorado..thanks for sharing. Neat seeing fish and places
outside of NA.
Just did a kayak bass tourney ( freshwater..smallmouth/ largemouth ) and had the
fly rod along too. Yeah it would have been a shock to most people to win a good
ole North American bass tourny with a fly rod.  Didn't happen.
Just had one fish entered on the fly.
I use it as a finesse technique when its hot and the bite is off.
What's cool is I'll often get double hook-ups with this technique, but the bass tend to be smaller.
Snag or Fish? Weed or Fish? Oh,Fish-On !

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »
Phenomenal photo of the duckling in the nest of fly line. How in hell did that happen?
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »
Can't get over it - a photo for the ages. National Geographic will be calling anytime.
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 02:53:19 am »
some great fly-yak pictures there dorado!

i`ve been doing well using a sinking tip line both for wet and dry flies. it certainly makes it easier to cast from the yak and get it down to the fish`s level. my net is my most important thing when fly fishing from the yak for bigger fish.

i do better casting and drifting bugs but i like to back troll streamers, bombers and bugs too. i both troll  and back troll streamers for kelt/black salmon. trolling mackerel feather rigs works awesome, and they are basicly 3 streamer flies, similar to russian river streamers. anybody else troll or back troll flies?
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:42 am »
I usually troll bunny leaches, matuka's or mickey finn's.

iPop, what is back trolling?
John

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:09 am »
what is back trolling?

Back trolling is a method of trolling from the bow of the the boat (rather than stern) where the boat is moving with the current, but slower than the current. The bait is norrmally rigged in a suspended state with some weight/diver below it (similar to a drop shotted configuration). The bait is therefore pulled slightly by the faster current giving a natural presentation while allowing the angler to move in the direction of the current.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_back_trolling_in_fishing#ixzz1XvtSvjvk

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:01 am »
That is a really nice pike! Hope you went barbless on the duckie though ;D
Kamloops, BC

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:03 am »
ouird basicly has it for back trolling. the main thing is to slow down the boat speed to about the speed baits etc are moving in the current, or simpley to "back" the bait down the current to the fish. this gives you a more natural presentation and allows you to hold it in place if you get a hit or are working a hot spot. you don`t have to face up or down current to do this specificly, i do it either way although stern towards current takes some practice, i like it for a break too.
using a sinking tip line i can work a fly deep and strait as opposed to swinging and rising in the current. you can do this with lures and baits, not just flies.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline Avid Yak Fisher

• Local Pro
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
I love fly fishing from my kayak for bass, pike and pan-fish.
Pelican Escape 100 SE

Tags: