Recent

Author Topic: Your input is needed  (Read 892 times)

Offline Big T

• Greenhorn
Your input is needed
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »
Hey everyone I'm a newbie to yakfishing, I just bought 2 weeks ago a OK Trident 13 in camo...man is it sweet, but my question is what is the best way to protect/secure my yak. I will have to leave it at my trailer since i live in a apartment. I cant put it inside my trailer unfortunately but am wondering if anyone has used a cable lock  or chain like you would use for bikes and run it through the scupper holes then secure it to my trailer. I know if someone wants it bad enough this will only slow them down a bit. Is there a better option??

Offline Dorado

• Ultra Light
Re: Your input is needed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:38 pm »
Best security known to man.................

Buy a kayak nobody will want to steal. ;D

Offline Ry18an

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:27:53 am »
I dont know how high your trailer is but, my father-in-law stores his underneath their trailer secured with a cable lock through the scupper hole.  Keeps it more or less out of sight.
Tarpon 140
Prodigy 12
Grumman 16 square stern

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:33 am »
That would be my suggestion. "out of sight, out of mind" Put it under the trailer or build a box to put it in. Anything to keep it out of sight. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. If you get targeted the kayak is gone no matter what you do. but at least you can cut down on the oportunistic bottom feeders who drive by, see something they like and take it. the harder you make it to take it the better off you'll be.
If you build a box for it, label the box SEPTIC TANK BRUSHES or something like that, no-one will want to open it.
cheers Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Big T

• Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »
Thanks guys for your help, I really like the box idea, never thought of that, and the label idea is great..thanks again guys....cheers

Offline Aussie Yaka

• Ultra Light
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:43:39 am »
I met a bloke that kept his Harley in his lounge room.

Recently divorced.  I am not sure which came first the Harley or the divorce.

Regards A Y

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:24:55 pm »
I built a Harley in my kitchen once, a 98" red ridged with white flames, and a 3" open belt drive.......AHHHHH those were the days
Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
I had a kayak stolen from me and I had heavy chain and a padlock on it...didn't stop the bolt cutters that they left behind.It was also out of sight under my parrents house back deck.

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:50 pm »
Just goes to show that a lock only keeps an honest man honest!  If it was me, and it would fit, I'd put it IN the trailer even though that would be a pain in the a#$
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:40:51 pm »
Yeah like I said if it's been targeted there's nothing you can do. Just hope you're not at home when it happens. Why? Cause then you run outside and there's a confrontation, and... well.. next thing you know you're out a  minimum 5 grand in lawyer bills trying to prove self-defence and all sorts of other legal shit. It ain't like the movies where you can shoot someone for stealing your stuff. Long story short your house insurance should cover it. But check first and get them to put it on if it's not covered.
Death to thieving bastards
Rick
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:52:28 am »

Here's what I bought for my T14. If you have a MEC in your neck o'the

woods...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621325&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302883194

I can't tell you how good (or bad) it is, ::), I haven't used it yet...

but since it's a multi strand cable...I figure it to be a deterrent...

Salutations

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:38:01 pm »
That would be my suggestion. "out of sight, out of mind" Put it under the trailer or build a box to put it in. Anything to keep it out of sight. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. If you get targeted the kayak is gone no matter what you do. but at least you can cut down on the oportunistic bottom feeders who drive by, see something they like and take it. the harder you make it to take it the better off you'll be.
If you build a box for it, label the box SEPTIC TANK BRUSHES or something like that, no-one will want to open it.cheers Rick

You're right on that Rick, I had a car stolen from me , in my driveway, inside a 'Tempo carport' during

a snowstorm... >:(

And I just love your sense of.....humour, Rick. I wouldn't want to go inside your head, man, hahaha

Salutations

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »
It's a dark and scarry place. Loud music and naked women AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH run for your lives LOL
Thanks.
Cheers Rick
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Tags: