Recent

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Ry18an

• Ultra Light
Waders
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:08 am »
Ive noticed that a lot of guys wear waders in their kayaks, Im completely new to the kayak scene so bear with me if I ask stupid questions. 
I do however, have a number of years canoeing in my background though not much in the last 5 years.  I personally have a couple distinct memories that involve chest waders, both when I was trapping in my late teens. 
The first was my dad threatening to beat me half senseless when he saw me about to get in the canoe whilst wearing waders.  In fact, a few years prior to this, a friend of my uncle drowned on the sauble river wearing hip waders after dumping his canoe, I dont think he had a pfd on though...
The second was dropping into an entrance trench beside a beaver house in late october, my waders were instantly filled with water and I still remember how heavy they were to get out of the water with, they're virtually weightess in the water until the water level in the waders is higher than the lake from you trying to get out.  When I did get out of the lake I had to lay on the ground in such a way that the water could flow back out of them before I could get them off, just like the suction experienced trying to get your foot out of a flooded rubber boot.
So I guess I have a couple questions...
Does a properly worn pfd prevent water from getting in over the top of your waders?
Do the newer neoprene waders fit in such a way(tighter) that flooding isnt as much of an issue?
Has anybody dumped their kayak and had to try to get back in while wearing waders?
I guess a person should just try this out in a controlled environment but Im kinda cheap and dont want to buy waders if I end up not wanting to wear them.
Im not meaning to berate anybody here for what they do or dont do, just looking to get/give some input in light of my own past experiences.

Thanks, Ryan
Tarpon 140
Prodigy 12
Grumman 16 square stern

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:29 am »

Offline Ry18an

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:55 am »
Thanks Jeff!

Sounds like they have it all figured out nowadays.  I had the old 'World Famous' rubber waders back in the day that were from Deals Surplus.  Those newer lightweight ones coupled with the belt etc look to be the ticket.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan 
Tarpon 140
Prodigy 12
Grumman 16 square stern

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:09 am »
np. I use kokatat drypants. But occasionally wear lightweight bootfoot waders. depends on how much I will be jumping out of the kayak. If Im going to jump out a bunch I will wear the waders. 

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:17 am »
Does a properly worn pfd prevent water from getting in over the top of your waders?
No.  I'd wear a wading belt to keep the water out.  Besides immersion protection, waders are worn in a SOT kayak to keep water off of you and protection from wind, etc.  The water is mostly from paddle drip, some splashes over the side and rain.  Also useful for getting in/out of a kayak depending on the shoreline (e.g. very shallow entry and need to move the boat from shore).

Waist high waders are useful as well, but offer much less in the way of immersion protection.

Do the newer neoprene waders fit in such a way(tighter) that flooding isnt as much of an issue?
Most paddlers favour breathables.  Neoprene are great when you are in the water, but you get clammy.  I don't have them, but flooding is not an issue because they are fairly tight to the skin.  Breathables fit a lot looser, but the pressure of the water keeps them close to your body, so they definately do not fill up like a water balloon.

Has anybody dumped their kayak and had to try to get back in while wearing waders?
No, but I'd think that it is a good drill under controlled conditions.  It would be a good test to see if you are dressing right for the conditions, make sure you are close to a shore or dock, etc.  I practice re-entry in the summer, but then the kayak is more of a swimming raft.  Pretty easy to get back on top, worse and mostly likely thing to happen is that your boat will drift away, then you are f@cked.

I guess a person should just try this out in a controlled environment
Agreed.
John

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
If you are going to use ur waders in your yak. Than I would recommend to get rid of the nylon wader belt that comes with most sets and invest in a nyoprean belt. Much more comfy for sitting in a yak for long periods of time.

You Hook it, and I can cook it!!!!!
Pro Staff for Salmo Canada
Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Offline Ry18an

• Ultra Light
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:01 am »
Thanks guys, I didnt even know there were so many options.  You've been very helpful.

Ryan
Tarpon 140
Prodigy 12
Grumman 16 square stern

Tags: