Recent

Author Topic: Roof Racks!?  (Read 21481 times)

Offline BobCat

• Ultra Light
Roof Racks!?
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »
So I am thinking I wanted to go kayaking some time and I need roof racks. So I went to Up North and for my car (Thule) was about 600$ to purchase. Sport rack at Canadian Tire was 209$ so I bought them and I installed them. All their information on my specific car was incorrect for the installation. Picture this the bars were 17 inches apart, and they just have a little arm that tightens between the door with an allen key. Now you think these 17 inch bars just clamped with a little arm is going to hold a 16 foot kayak going 100kmh, on a 13 foot car? On the other hand my kayak is expensive and I can't afford to replace it, so I returned the sport racks.

For 209$ I think my best bet is to buy some steel and weld up Y bars on both sides of my car (Toyota Tercel) that can pop in and out. What do you guys think?
Ocean Kayak Prowler 15T Angler

jediangler

Re: Roof Racks!?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:56 pm »
 :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:49:56 pm by jediangler »

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:20:41 pm »
I used foam for a long time but just got some of those sportsrack frontier things you are talking about.  Got them cheap from kijiji but I popped them on my fishing beater using one of their manuals I printed online and they seem sturdy to me.  I've only driven about 200km so far with the yak this spring but was doing 120 on the highway and felt pretty confident in them and I've got a trident 15.  I did of course use foam between the rack and the boat and had it flipped upside down.  I don't bother with bow or stern lines I just put the straps one extra loop through the scuppers to avoid front to back shifting.  Anything further than 100km and I will take the time to tie on lines though.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline Dave

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »
I have the sportracks and haven't had any trouble with them, the measurements from the manual were a little off as you said but close.  They are rated for 75kg and the factory rack for my s***box is only 75 pounds.  I always put a strap on the front, I read somewhere that you can get a lot of upforce from wind or passing trucks and the strap offers some protection.  I've done it so many times its just another minute, so no big deal.
Dave
Woodstock, Ontario
Coosa, Hobie Outback

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:16:46 pm »
On my silverado pickup I'm using the cheapo Princess Auto truck racks for $140.00. They're rated for 500 pounds and work great. They're also round pipe construction, so wind noise is minimal.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:11 am »
I wouldnt say Princess Auto as cheapo... more Princess Auto wreaking of awesomeness!!!!!

I have my Factory rack on my Escape right now, but im making my own rack... i bought 2 48inch square hollow tubes, that will be able hold at lease 2 kayaks very easily.  i have to do some work myself, but it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper then paying 400-500 it costs to put on Aftermarket rigs... and i like making my own stuff!! saves me money for more fish hooks lol.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:19 am »
On my silverado pickup I'm using the cheapo Princess Auto truck racks for $140.00. They're rated for 500 pounds and work great. They're also round pipe construction, so wind noise is minimal.

Thumper, I drive a 2008 ford f150 fx4. Would those work? And how easy at they to install.

You Hook it, and I can cook it!!!!!
Pro Staff for Salmo Canada
Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Offline Carp

• Carp
  • Greenhorn
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:20 am »
A buddy and I just ordered the new Malone J Loaders from Kayak Anglers Pro Shop for $116.95 and no taxes. They were recommended due to the new features of this model. over the Malone Auto Loader XV Kayak. Fits Fords factory rails, and come with 2 12" Cam buckles Straps and 2 safety Tie downs

Carp
Carp

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:24 am »
I really like the Malone Line of kayak roof rack holders.
when im done mine, Im going to get the SeaWing rig..

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:31:50 am »
I used foam for a long time but just got some of those sportsrack frontier things you are talking about.  Got them cheap from kijiji but I popped them on my fishing beater using one of their manuals I printed online and they seem sturdy to me.  I've only driven about 200km so far with the yak this spring but was doing 120 on the highway and felt pretty confident in them and I've got a trident 15.  I did of course use foam between the rack and the boat and had it flipped upside down.  I don't bother with bow or stern lines I just put the straps one extra loop through the scuppers to avoid front to back shifting.  Anything further than 100km and I will take the time to tie on lines though.

What do you drive??

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »
Ted, the Princess Auto rack was fairly easy to install. It does require drilling 2 holes down through the top of your side rail for each support (8 holes total). It's got 2 options for cross-bar height - the lower one works on my Silverado, but if you were carrying a canoe or a boat with an upswept bow - upside down - you would probably need the higher cross-bar position for the boat to clear the truck's roof.
It took me about 1/2 hour to install by myself and I think it would fit any pick-up - as long as you have access under the side rail to install and tighten the support bolts/nuts.
On my Silverado the installed rack gives me about 54 inches - plenty of room for my Hobie Outback on my Malone sea wings. However, as Hobies are about 33" wide, to carry 2 Hobies 'right-side-up', using 2 sets of Malone sea wings, I'm going to have to have the kayak sides protrude a little bit beyond the upright posts. Not a big deal - can be modified easily for that. Two kayaks on their sides (using J-hooks) would fit without any problem, but we like to carry our Hobies right side up & 'all dressed"
Plenty strong and solidly secured though. And the price is certainly right @ $140 + tax & postage
My only complaint is that the set screws supplied are a little loose (too small for the threaded nut) I used teflon plumbers tape to keep them snug - otherwise they's wiggle out in no time. One had come loose in the shipping box and went missing through a hole in the box - but it's a common size and I had a spare bolt that replaced it. Lock-tight might work better than teflon tape for this.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44:52 pm »
Stopped by PA today and they didnt have any in, be 3 weeks till they do.. Need a rack system for friday...

Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 07:49:08 pm »
Tyou can easily stack yaks. in a truck bed and strap them down. Stick a red flag out the back. johns 15 footer will stick out a bit but it you do it right your golden. Then when you get to Garys we can thrwo them on the trailer.

Offline Ted Pace

• Seasoned Angler
  • Extreme Chef
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »
yeah Bro, that be golden, but I am still gonna try and find a set, as the wife has a yak also and we will be doin alot of travellin this summer.... might just get racks for the roof

Jackson Cuda
Heritage Redfish

Offline Thumper

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 09:51:35 pm »
I ordered my PA 500 lb rack on-line. Took under a week by Canada Post - $187.42 all in.
Canmore, Alberta
Hobie Nation
P.A. 12
Outback
Adventure Island
Sport