Recent

Author Topic: Kayak transport on vehicles.  (Read 20574 times)

jediangler

Re: Kayak transport on vehicles.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 04:08:46 pm »
 :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:14:29 pm by jediangler »

Offline Dieter

• Greenhorn
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 11:08:29 pm »
Serge do not about they size of your kayak in terms of the size of your car. Here is a picture of my old kayak beside my car. The kayak is 16' and I used to put on the roof of my 13' car.

Jedi is right that the good racks are expensive but I use mine for other sports as well like skiing and for my bike so for me it was worth it. And they are noisy when unloaded unless you buy the air deflector for the front, but again it is not cheap either.

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 10:26:25 am »
Dieter, I suppose you sold the yak to buy a lawnmower!!! ;D
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline serge

• Greenhorn
  • ready to rock
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 11:05:34 am »
  thank you, guys,  for your replies.

Your info encouraged me a lot,  :)  I will go to see some kayak stores on our Montreal Island this weekend.

I would also appreciate if you could tell me some useful  tricks how to put it on the roof safely not scratching the car paint, I mean how to do it when you're  alone?

Offline Dieter

• Greenhorn
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:36 am »
DGW when the weather was nice I was always out in the yak when not at work so the lawn had to wait. I think that had something to do with why we have hired a company to cut the lawnthis year. ;D :D

Offline Red Rocket

• Old School
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:11 pm »
Very smart.  You must always attempt to keep a smile on the face of "She who must be obeyed."
Don

Hobie Outback
Toronto

Offline Mike B

• Local Pro
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
  thank you, guys,  for your replies.

Your info encouraged me a lot,  :)  I will go to see some kayak stores on our Montreal Island this weekend.

I would also appreciate if you could tell me some useful  tricks how to put it on the roof safely not scratching the car paint, I mean how to do it when you're  alone?

Hey Serge, I use 2 bath mats for loading my yak by myself.  Will load from the front of the vehicle - one bath mat on the hood and one on the top of the windshield....slids right up like a ramp onto my rack (van) or foam pads (car).  Make sure fairly think with the rubbery bottom on it so it doesn't slip.  Works well on both a car (sunfire) and caravan, however they are both old, so if I do get a scratch, not concerned.  But so far so good.

Mike

Offline leezard

• Greenhorn
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 03:33:03 pm »
Hey Guys, been away a while with work but just got back. I picked up the Yakima roof rack for my 08 versa with a set of hull raisers. Figured I would just pick it up and someone approached my wife with a rack for our van at 150$. Sheesh though will probably buy it and put the hulley rollers and aero saddles to hold the yak up top.

Borrowed a fishing yak to get out with tonight so we shall see if I can manage it today.

Steve

Will post pics when I get the 18' up on the roof :)

Steve

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »
cool :)

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 10:28:01 pm »
You won't have any worries. What kind of vehicle are you putting it on? Should go up nice and easy or easier than you think. I fish out a sea kayak that is 16' and we can get them up and off by ourselves but it is so much easier with help on either end that is for sure. Now if you are putting it up on something much taller than you are then you may want to go for the roller in the back for sure.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline leezard

• Greenhorn
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 10:02:02 am »
If I put one on the van (a chev uplander) I will probably go with the rollers.

For the Hull raisers I had a question how far in should they be if your only transporting one Kayak? I have mine set in a ways from the side and finding it a bit of a pain to reach that far in to put the yak on. So far it's not to hard but every little bit helps eh?

The yak I borrowed is a pongo? no skeg or rudder which is taking a bit of getting used to. I like the larger opening and this one has a dashboard on it which is cool as well though not an ideal piece o kit for a big guy like myself though I am working my way down a few sizes.

Steve

Offline smallmouth

• Ultra Light
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »
Serge do not worry about they size of your kayak in terms of the size of your car. Here is a picture of my old kayak beside my car. The kayak is 16' and I used to put on the roof of my 13' car.

NICE YAK!

God Bless,
Don

Offline smallmouth

• Ultra Light
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 08:55:52 pm »

Hey Serge, I use 2 bath mats for loading my yak by myself.  Will load from the front of the vehicle - one bath mat on the hood and one on the top of the windshield....slids right up like a ramp onto my rack (van) or foam pads (car).  Make sure fairly think with the rubbery bottom on it so it doesn't slip.  Works well on both a car (sunfire) and caravan, however they are both old, so if I do get a scratch, not concerned.  But so far so good.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Do you carry your Tarpon right side up or flip it once you've slid it up there?

God Bless,
Don

Offline Mike B

• Local Pro
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:31 am »
I keep it upright...works well this way on both vehicles.  Used the foam pads on the Sunfire for approx a 900 km round trip...worked fine up to 110 km/h...didn't move at all.  Only issue, rain...dripping in via the straps through the door.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Do you carry your Tarpon right side up or flip it once you've slid it up there?

God Bless,
Don

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 08:14:13 pm »
For about $100 you can get the Canadian Tire roof rack system. Should have one to fit your car and easy to instal. No more worries about rain coming in the vehicle that way. As for the risers I would normally place them anywhere there is a bulkhead in the yak to maintain an even amount of presure on those points instead of strapping it down where there isn't a bulk head which could lead to crushing your hull or deck. If it is a SOT then you obviously won't have this issue. As long as it is balanced and you are comfortable putting it up and taking the yak off and it can be strapped down securely then you should be fine putting them wherever it is best suited to fit these applications.
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Tags: