Recent

Author Topic: Kayak Storage  (Read 3057 times)

Offline fishonyukon

• Local Pro
    • Fish on Yukon
Kayak Storage
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:38:56 am »
I need help!  I am finishing my garage and am trying to figure out how to get my Ocean Kayak Big Game out of the way.  I spent about $40 on pulleys and hinges and obviously failed physics....cause it aint going up easy.  I wanted to suspend it with a pulley system but am thinking that maybe just a wall-mount is the best way to go.  I've still got space to go either way right now.

Any suggestions or Canadian retailers that would carry these storage systems?  I am also thinking that a purchased product is better than trying to jimmy something that may rip out of my joists eventually.  ???
Dreams are like fish, you gots to keep reelin' - G. Love

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: Kayak Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:57:25 am »
Umm...Not to sure about Canadian Retailers...Theres LLBEAN that has reliable delivery in relative quick response and decent options...I have only online options for everything...ha

Offline polepole

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:58:31 am »
Post pics of your physics defying contraption and let's debug it here.

Or ... if you have a high ceiling in your garage, just store it standing up on end.

-Allen

Offline Exstreamfisherman

• Old School
  • Exstream Outdoors Kayak Angler
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »
I use to store my yak and my friends yak from the ceiling in the garage. All we used was old tie down straps and a hook screwed into the ceiling joice. Make your adjustments on the ground and then hook one end over the ceiling hook which should leave you two ends hanging down (one off of each hook). Then raise the bow up to where you need it and grab the first strap and as long as there is a hook on the end you can just hook it onto itself after it wraps around the yak... do the same for the stern and you are set. I can still get mine up high enough that I can pull a van into the Garage but if you are vertically challenged then it may be an issue. Also weight might come into consideration if your yak is heavy or if you are alone and trying to get it put up into place. I like the wall storage idea but I also like to use my walls for work bench areas and other storage so since the ceiling isn't being used up they go...
Any day on the water is a good day

Prostaff for Streamside, The Sweedish Pimple, Kamkazi

http://nationalprostaff.com/users/6794/Darrin++Moran     
http://exstreamfisherman.wordpress.com/   
http://www.youtube.com/user/4YakProductions/videos

Moncton, NB

Offline fishonyukon

• Local Pro
    • Fish on Yukon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:08:32 am »
After some weighty deliberations today I decided to go with the wall mount and made a couple of L-brackets for support on the wall joists.  I agree I would have preferred to use the ceiling but I needed to get the yak out of the way today....and my kayak is not light!  I am not a small guy but heaving that thing around was sure to get me a hernia.  I'll take a picture and post it in the next day or two.  Thanks for the feedback. So far so good. I am going to sleep knowing my kayak is safe, secure and out of the way.

Dreams are like fish, you gots to keep reelin' - G. Love

Tags: