Recent

Author Topic: 2011 Trident Rigging Thread  (Read 18539 times)

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
2011 Trident Rigging Thread
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:05:13 pm »
Ok I know a whole lot of us are in new Trident's this spring thanks to Paul at Ecological Adventures so lets have a thread to discuss and share our rigging plans.  I'm holding off to do any drilling until the weather improves but here is the plan so far on my end.

For main dry storage I put together this thing last season with a pet food container that I found at pets unlimited for about $60.  I added a few "inchworm" rings to either side to facilitate holding it down and screwed in some cut PVC rod holders on each corner.  It fit perfectly into the old big game's stern area and looks it it will do the same in the Trident 15, maybe just a bit more snug.  It's hard to see in this pic but this thing has a great lid with large threads that you can easily work with one hand and it stays very dry inside.

I got the idea from this gentleman's fantastic blog:  http://saltwateryakfisherman.blogspot.com/2010/04/kayak-livewell-dry-box-part-2.html

I used a Pelican case last year to keep my cell, keys and other valuable in last year but this year I'm thinking of replacing it with this Plano 1612 Marine Box.  The thought behind this is, that space would be better served to hold tackle, rather than electronics that can be stuffed in the larger dry container behind it. They are only $16 bucks or so but I can't seem to source one locally and the shipping is more than the box.

The fish finder seems like it will be straight forward, I'm going to pick up a new one this spring when Canadian Tire has their sale and just install it under the sonar shield.  I'll likely run the cables through a drilled hole behind the unit and put a rubber gasket and some silicone in there.  The transducer will likely get mounted in the hull with marine goop.

One thing I'm having a hard time deciding is rod mount positions.  I think I will go with 4 Scotty mount plates and 2 baitcaster/1 fly rod holders to move around the 3 mounts.  First through was putting them up front by the fish finder but that is quite a reach on the T15, starting to think about mounting two of them behind the seat near the stock flush-mounts.  What are you guys planning in this regard?

Also please post any pics if you have already started rigging.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
Re: 2011 Trident Rigging Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »
I haven't started yet, I'll be keeping mine pretty basic, fish finder, gps, anchor trolley, scotty mounts, scotty beacon ( one of the prizes from the tourney-thanks CKA) I'll probably just use a milk crate in the well if I can find one. When do you think will be your first outing on the salt CP?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »
My parts of the prizes were mailed out recently but I have to get after Russ to send his out. Hoping to figure that out asap.

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »
Well I'm hoping to get out on the lakes as early as mid march if the thaw cooperates.  Places like Kinsac and Fish lake will be open before Apr 1 for pickerel.  As for the salt I think that it is fairly slow until late June here, but I know some locals catch winter flounder and cod so I might be out there in March as well assuming I get rigged before then. 

I hope you guys are down for a lot of weekend trips this season because I'll likely be out on overnight yakking outings every chance I get.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »
My plans are pretty simple.
Milk Crate
Plano dry box
scotty mounts (2 up front probably 2 behind my seat)
light beacon
mount for my xshot
Fish finder/gps.

eventually ill be adding a rudder as well.

Jeremy lemme know when you go fishing for Pickerel, id be in for this.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:07:53 am »
Why scotty mount? we have found the ram mount a lot more versatile and hard wearing.
Here are some of my rigging for a T13
http://www.canadiankayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=690.0
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:10:27 am by Axor »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:43 am »
Personally, i know Scotty products better then i do  the RAM products.
thats my only real reason.
do you find that the ram mounts allow for items to get caught up more then scotty mounts?
Axor, where did you get your fittings from? (the water tight seals). 

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »
Ouird, I think you have just as much chance getting caught up on both types, but I have had less trouble with the ram tubes than anything else.
If you mean the water tight seals for the fishfinder, they are electrical glad and can be purchased from Home Depot, just make sure you fill the backs of them with sealant once they are fitted.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:11:20 pm by ouird »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:25:14 am »
Having a really rough time trying to find the ideal spot to mount 2 rod holders (scotty).  On the 15', putting them up by the sonar shield makes them unreachable from the seated position and stretch even when sitting side saddle, but I really dont see any alternatives.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:16 am »
How about mounting the by your feet to the inside of the kayak, a lot of guys here to that and use the scotty extensions, the rods sit at the right height and angle then also. If I can fins a picture I will link or put it up for you

Try this link   

http://static.flickr.com/105/268078064_654c69fc5c_o.jpg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:35:41 am by Axor »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:42:43 am »
@Captain Plastic... I have a Trident 13, but I can certainly understand the reach issue by having something up near the sonar shield.  I only use a single Scotty mount, but I placed it on my rod pod cover.  Far enough forward that it isn't in my face, but easy enough to reach when I want it.  With the new rod pod covers this should be even easier to do, as it is supposed to be already set up for easy mounting of these mounts.

If you do want 2 mounts, one option would be to use the triple rod mount and mount it on the rod pod.

Of course if you expect to be in and out of the rod pod while out on the water, then this is probably not the best option for you.  Personally I didn't like getting in and out of it a lot on the water, so it was an easy choice for me.

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:11:53 am »
Well my rigging is done for now. I will add an anchor trolley sometime this spring as well as an anchor on a retractable dive reel, but now I just want to get on the water.

I'm going to add some dividers to the inside of my main dry storage container because right now it is just a massive area for things to tangle up and get lost, it really does hold a ton of stuff though which is great and allows me to use my old dry container (pelican case) for the fish finder when its disconnected.

I'm pleased with how the bungee replacement holds the rod pod, plus it has added some extra rigging to hold pliers and other equipment, the top right corner can also be locked in for a better seal.  The scotty rod extenders are just long enough to allow me to reach them from the seated position, but I honestly doubt I will be using them too often, trolling with the fly rod and drift fishing for flounder are the only circumstances that I can think of.

I attached rare earth magnets evenly spaced under the rod pod lid which magnetizes the whole surface enough that you can throw a lure at it and have it stick, it will also hold pliers, etc.  (thanks to ouird for the idea)

I'm strongly considering adding a stern hatch to this boat.  As you can see in the 15 there is a metric shit-ton of below-deck storage wasted in the stern.  I found in my big game my camping gear that I shoved back there was very hard to retrieve by reaching in the hatch in front of the seat.  In this boat it will be even harder as the only access is the rod pod and the stern is so much longer than in the big game.  A 6-8' hatch back there would at least allow you to remove small items and push the big ones back up towards the rod pod for removal, and if not that then maybe a few cut up pool noodles as dividers to keep things from getting lost back there.

Can't wait to get out, come on spring!

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:46 am »
Nice man!!!!
I got the same idea for holding my yak up.. (crappy tire saw horses, that were on sale, and foam blocks lol).  
the FF is enroute.. so im itching to get at that.  
Where did you Mount your Transducer?

ive been tinkering a bit on some things for when everything ready to go...
Made my box for my battery, and added HD foam to secure it in there.
made my base mounts for the inside of my yak for my rod mounts.
paddle leash, rod leashes, rod holder on my crate.  
oh yes... and a new loader to get it up on my suv
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:59:30 am by ouird »

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:26 am »
I have a prowler13 and have a scotty triple bar mounted for rodholders etc.. I used stainless steel hardware and a ton of marine goop... For those of you who have mounted stuff on your kayak in places where you cannot reach from the inside...How do you attach the scotty mounts?

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:40 am »
you could likely screw them into the plastic and add Marine goop too the base, but be weary of stripping the plastic..
if youre going with the above route, id suggest cutting an extra base (from something like a cutting board) glueing the scotty mount to that, then the entire thing to the boat.. with goop, and screws, that should hold well.  just be sure to clean all surfaces, and make sure they are scuffed up to ensure a good hold/seal.

another way would be to use pop rivets (be sure you get the right ones, and off the top of my head, i cant recall the name of them), and goop the base, and holes.

keep in mind every hole you make in your yak, is more potential for leaks, and takes away from the structural integrity of the boat...

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks: