Recent

Author Topic: Wet Seat Issue - Ocean Kayak Prowler 13  (Read 10880 times)

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
Wet Seat Issue - Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »
Just wondering if anyone on here has come up with a  mod to correct this issue?  The problem is that the scupper holes  are an inch or so above the low point in the seat which eventually leads to a wet ride...  I have contemplated somehow raising up the seat a bit to keep out of the water but I am not sure the best way to do this..  Anyone here attempted a fix for a similar issue?

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: Wet Seat Issue - Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »
have you used scupper plugs?

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
Yeah I have tried them... They don't correct the issue because eventually paddle drip or a splash somehow gets in there and then sits in the low point...

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:30 am »
hmmm, ok, well you could look at getting a raised seat

I dunno what your budget its but,
i found this site here:

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/shopping/store_seats.htmhttp://www.kayaksportfishing.com/shopping/store_seats.htm

they have a few items that may be of interest.
"the Drifter Seat" which is raised, and may be helpful
as well there is a "Hot Seat" that could fit under your present seat

given you are using a sit on top, a bit of wetness has to be expected though.
you may want to try without the scupper plugs that way the water has a place to go.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »
I think what BMAC is saying is the scupper holes are NOT at the lowest point so no matter if the plugs are out or not the water is going to pool in the lowest point, Sort of like putting your basement drain in the highest part of the basement instead of the lowest. the water can't drain if there's no hole for it to drain in to. If you drill a hole under the seat it would just drain into the hull, Have you wrote Ocean Kayak about the problem? I would try that first, you can't be the only one with this problem, you think it would be common on this model until they design a fix from the factory. you might have to drill a hole under the seat right through the hull, insert a piece of plastic tube, then plastic weld or glue the thing at both ends (under the seat and on the bottom of the kayak) and voila home made scupper hole make it the right size and you can still use a scupper plug if ya want.
Sorry for rambling but long story short, see what OK has to say
Cheers Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:22:25 pm »
Very strange? on my P13 the lowest point is the foot well scuppers and to solve the wet bum problem we use scupper bungs or cut down pool noddle. A raised seat would solve the problem but would move the centre of gravity and if it is to high you can feel very unstable.
Have you got drip guards on you paddle?
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:43 am »
the lowest point of your seat is the foot well scuppers? Yeah that's very strange indeed. I'm still curious how scupper plugs or bungs as you call them would correct the problem of the scupper holes being one or so inches above the low point in the seat. if you plug the holes more water pools in the seat if you take the plugs out all the water drains out of the seat area EXCEPT for the water in the low spot which is BELOW the scupper holes. Raising the seat corrects the wet ass but does nothing to address the problem of the scupper holes being poorly placed to begin with.
Perhaps I'm the one not reading the question properly. BMAC am I reading the problem correctly?
  The problem is that the scupper holes  are an inch or so above the low point in the seat which eventually leads to a wet ride... 
Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:12:07 pm »
Phatrick has the idea... Its just that the scupper holes on the seat are not the low point.. So if you took a bucket of water and poured it in there most would drain off but a half inch or so would remain in the seat... Ideally the scupper holes would be the low point in the seat and then if you got a splash it would run out / dry over the day... I think my prowler is 2006 model year so maybe they have corrected the issue since then...

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »
I was interested in your dilemma and I thought I would put a bit of time into finding out why this placement of the scupper holes took place. I contacted the design guys for Ocean Kayak and they advised me that it was a trade off between the holes being placed where yours are or where the typical ass bones rest while paddling. If they had placed them where they belonged then it would cause discomfort in your cushion. So the trade off was wet butt or sore butt.
That obviously doesn't solve the problem but I figured I'd let you know why they did what they did. I think you should get some kokatat tempest pants :)

Offline BMAC

• Ultra Light
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:34:50 am »
Thanks Jeff,

I wanted to look into getting some kayak gear next anyway... And other than the wet seat issue the prowler is a pretty awesome fishing yak.. Light, Fast, holds a full size cooler in the back for multi day trips etc...

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:42:08 pm »
Michael sent me a link to this company. This company makes cushions you might be able to add a bit of height to your wet seat :) Might work :) http://www.skwoosh.com/

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:30 am »
I rate these seats, they are very comfy and stop the numb bum, even just the cushion one in an existing seat will help. They are also quite thin so they do not throw off your centre of balance
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
Michael sent me a link to this company. This company makes cushions you might be able to add a bit of height to your wet seat :) Might work :) http://www.skwoosh.com/

the classic paddling cushion looks good

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline k4l3

• Seasoned Angler
  • Prowler 13 Angler
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:38:45 am »
Thanks Jeff,

I wanted to look into getting some kayak gear next anyway... And other than the wet seat issue the prowler is a pretty awesome fishing yak.. Light, Fast, holds a full size cooler in the back for multi day trips etc...

I picked up few of these when they on sale $10 or lower, happen 3-4x each year....   will raise you up at lease 1/2"...   
Use the seat with the honeycomb facing down so it doesn't collect water, so open the zipper in the back and flip the rubber inside..
The bottom is silicone mesh so it won't slide and won't get wet"soak"... my OK seat "Butt" usually stay dry unless taking heavy splash over the side or in a thunderstorm..
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/VehicleAccessories/SeatCushions/PRD~0321419P/Gel%252BSeat%252BCushion.jsp?locale=en

They were on sale last month, if you need one before the next sale which should be May24/ june I still have 1 new one at home picked up on sale, you can have and I will pick up another one when they back on sale..
Am going to Algonquin for Trout 2nd week of May but be back for pike open Sat May 14th"2nd Sat May opener", might try for a Cooksbay Pike hookup or someone else suggest Toronto island pike..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:56:58 am by k4l3 »
Prowler 13 Angler
Downtown Toronto...

Tags: