Recent

Author Topic: elie horizon 150  (Read 8166 times)

Offline brohymn2

• Greenhorn
elie horizon 150
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »
was lookin at this kayak the other day, anyone have any feedback on it?

thanks

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: elie horizon 150
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:45 am »
Im not sure but I think Manny and Dan fish with those now. Try PMing Member Manny about that yak. Im pretty sure he is Pro staff for them. Great guy. Shoot him a PM.

Offline Manny

• Local Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:44 pm »
Pm sent..

;) ;) ;)

Offline Dan

• Ultra Light
  • "I'm gonna miss her...." -Brad Paisley
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »
Sick kayak ;) we used the 130s all last season and the were great! a little heavy, but awesome crafts!

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »
Elie is made by Pelican and are the same as the ones for sale in Canadian Tire, but be warned the 150 compared to say an Ocean Kayak T15 is very heavy.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »
if they are anything like a Pelican...they are shite... (no offense)  its a nice newb kayak, but if youre spending any time on the water, you'll be better off investing in something a bit more sturdy.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:59:16 pm »
Even tho' its Pelican they are very well made and not the same as the cheaper SINK. The one for sale in CT is called the Pelican Elite Horizon 150. If it wasn't so heavy (77lb) I may have considered it but with the T15 weighing in at only 60lb it was no contest

Offline Dan

• Ultra Light
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »
Well Manny and I have caught muskies in the 50" class in a Pelican(our profile pics) on the worst of fall days, huge waves and winds, flirting with the zero celsius mark, and sturdiness was never an issue...

To be honest the only thing that I personnaly didn't like about the Pelican was the fact that it was a sit-in vs. a sit-on-top. A sit-in can take water, a SOT can't(or shouldn't), plain and simple. I mean there are a million and one factors that can change the "performance" of a kayak, width, length, weight, speed, tracking ability, materials used in fabrication, design, etc, and the list goes on...

IMO it's all really a matter of comfort. I'm a lot more comfortable in my Elie Horizon 130 than others I have tried, some people are more comfortable in an OK, Wilderness, or OLD TOWN!  ;) ;) Bottom line, it is our approach to fishing, our knowledge, our angling techniques, and our instincts that will make us catch more, and bigger fish...Not what piece of plastic we sit in or on while fishing...Unfortunately some tend to forget that a lot...  8) 8)

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:03 pm »
Ya hit the nail right on the head, Dan,  You catch fish based on YOUR skill, and YOUR knowledge of the species, and YOUR knowledge of the lake. Not what kind of kayak you have, I have a fantastic kayak but the damn thing's NEVER caught nothing, EVER! It's me or nothing, every fish I caught, I would have caught sitting on a log or old inner tube, or even an entry priced kayak. I read all the reviews I could, looked at the prices as to what I could afford, and bought a Malibu stealth 12 But I repeat, it's never made a cast or caught a fish. A good kayak that tracks straight, doesn't weigh a ton, yet is sturdy enough to bounce of the rocks without damage, and doesn't kill ya if ya have to carry it to the truck, WILL get you to the places where you can use your skill to catch those fish, with a lot less effort than a poorly designed heavy kayak. So shop around and get what ya feel comfortable with, Some guy's have half a dozen kids and bills up the wazoo and couldn't afford a Hobie even if they wanted one, so as long as your on the water I'll be happy to fish with ya, no matter the make of your ride.
Cheers Rick
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:58 am »
Well said that man (men)

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:25 am »
I had a look at the Elie's way back when dan and manny got them and they are by no means a CDN Tire Pelican. They are sturdy well built yaks that rate up there with the rest of them. They just suffer from the Pelican name, allot of folks seem to think Pelican = crapola.......wrong on so many levels. More people get into yakking and yak fishing with pelican yaks than any other I would guess. The pelican bashers are usually those that never owned one
Belly

Offline Dan

• Ultra Light
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »
Dan Joseph likes this!

Tags: