Recent

Author Topic: Hammond River Classic 2011  (Read 22027 times)

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
Re: Hammond River Classic 2011
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »
even though it would be fun, i wouldn`t go to a 24hr or even 2 day format, unless as mentioned above, it was treated as 2 seperate tourneys. i say this because few people these days have 2 days off in a row. we are only missing the striper bite and some eels, sturgeon and most other fish hit day and night (of course, there is my golden shinners that shut down just as i arrived at the spot at 6:30 am - i guess i should have paddled faster! lol!). i have a friend that missed all three tourneys this year because he couldn`t get the time and i doubt making more 2 day/24 hr events will make it easier for newbies. myself, i can do this, but i`m an extreame angler...and single!!! lol

carp tournies do 24 hr and even week long events, but they are big cash prize events and not for everybody. i have run bass tournies that were weekend fishes - it was hard to see the leader go home after the first day because he had to work the next day - this was for numbers of smallies with a lunker prize...and he was ahead by 6 fish. i have only seen him at the sturgeon tourney since. remember half the people staying in bed the second day of the smallie slam? or not even fishing the second day due to conditions and where they were placed? it`s okay for dedicated anglers but not to get people interested in the sport.
It wouldn't be a 2 day thing, just a one day. Starts at 4pm Saturday, ends 4pm Sunday.

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:21 pm »
BTW - I want to thank JC and Tom Benjamin for their hard work, and the use of the Lodge.  What an awesome place that is!  I know there is a lot of work and effort that goes into creating an event like this, so kudos to you both for getting it done.   

Also thanks to Jeff for all your hard work getting the Cross Canada Tour together and off the ground.  I suspect whatever form the tour takes next year it will be bigger and better than this year!  Thanks Jeff.

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2011, 11:16:38 am »
First off thanks to JC for hosting such a great event. HRAA for letting us use there lodge even though I wasnt around to enjoy it saturday evening. Sounds like I really missed out. Thanks to Jeff and CKA for there support and it was great to fish along side Jeff and pull that Lunker Award winning pickeral right out from under his noes  ;D

As far as the Tourny format goes I like it the way it is. This is my 3rd time fishing this water and I got to say its tough fishing. Yes I would love if it was an allnight event and I am all in for the xtreme stuff. However the main goal here is to have fun and I think everyone had a great time. The results were very close and even the novice anglers can compete and be very competitive. It was great to see an increase in competitors compared to last year and that shows that JC is doing something right. So if its not broke, dont fix it!!

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:45 am »
i just noticed that`s the lenght of 2 of my fish, you missed my third species stroover. 20cm pumpkin seed;19 cm yellow perch; 15 cm bass (tiny but should have been included in my total) that gives me 54 cm, 3 species.

we need to set up a basic excel form so this doesn`t happen again.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2011, 02:03:08 pm »
Jeff is going to set up a spread sheet to be used at all tourneys,it will just need to be filled in and it will automatically do the numbers for you.

I also forgot to thank Tom! Thanks Tom. Had some great conversations with him as well! all in all I enjoyed the whole time with no sleep and a camera that went astray!

Offline BorealPete

• Greenhorn
  • "Born to fish - forced to work"
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:23 pm »
Hi Folks, just like to thank Tom & JC for organizing a great tournament. This was the first tournament for my son Nick and I and we had a ball! Camped out the night before, cooked eggs and toast for breakfast on the lawn and fished all day. Really appreciate the opportunity to spend quality time with my Son and so proud to see him beat me as well! I guess we'll be back again next year for sure.

Special thanks to Jeff. Couldn't imagine a better embassador for the sport of kayak fishing!!! Good luck up north buddy.

Pete,

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2011, 08:22:09 pm »
i just noticed that`s the lenght of 2 of my fish, you missed my third species stroover. 20cm pumpkin seed;19 cm yellow perch; 15 cm bass (tiny but should have been included in my total) that gives me 54 cm, 3 species.

we need to set up a basic excel form so this doesn`t happen again.

You're right, man. I messed-up. Oh maaaaaan! Sorry dude! So that puts you in 12th place, and everybody below guts umpbed one spot.
Like Scott said, Jeff's gonna hook us up with a spreadsheet which will calculate everything for us by next year.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:24:48 pm by stroover »

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2011, 08:58:22 pm »
Hi Folks, just like to thank Tom & JC for organizing a great tournament. This was the first tournament for my son Nick and I and we had a ball! Camped out the night before, cooked eggs and toast for breakfast on the lawn and fished all day. Really appreciate the opportunity to spend quality time with my Son and so proud to see him beat me as well! I guess we'll be back again next year for sure.

Special thanks to Jeff. Couldn't imagine a better embassador for the sport of kayak fishing!!! Good luck up north buddy.

Pete,

I know if that was my son I would have been super proud as well,he seems to be quite the accomplished kayak angler! Says a lot for his upbringing Pete! ;)

Tags: