Recent

Author Topic: Hammond River Classic 2011  (Read 22208 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: Hammond River Classic 2011
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:46 am »
What kind of havoc is the salinity there where we are going? Is the water super salty? Im thinking of my reel choice. Im trying to stick as much crap on my moving truck as possible to open as much room in my jeep for the drive. I suppose I could flush the reel hard at the hammond. Do they have hoses and things there?

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 10:02:14 am »
this will be almost pure salt. flush them at the hammond, i`m sure i remember a hose there.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2011, 10:56:29 am »
i noticed a couple of launch spots marked on the hot spots maps that are a distance from the headquarters. How is this going to work? I assume we keep the gear on the car and drive to wherever we want when the 6:00 bell goes?

Yep. I'll have "guards" at the designated launch spots, and you'll have to show your token to them and have them take your pic with your yak at the launch spot to prove that's where you launched from.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2011, 11:13:21 am »
jimmie will be pleased. where are they? he will be rowing/paddling his inflateable and wasn`t looking forward to rowing the extra half a km, especialy if the wind comes up - it`s got a huge bow.
if one is where i think it is, be carefull of the mud bank - slippery! lol! i fell down carring my yak to the water at the covered bridge last week - at least it was a soft piece of mud.

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 08:22:24 pm »
hiredgun, if you still need a tent, let me know, i can lend you a one man tent.

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:07 pm »
Thanks Ipop however I found one..its an old one but it'll work...I own a north face ...spent a good dollar on it... and now I think it has gone camping by itself!

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 12:33:39 pm »
so long as it`s having fun...lol!!! 8)

Offline Transplant

• CKA TEAM
  • Old School
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out now or not guys. My little girl broke her collar bone yesterday, she's curled up on the couch beside me right now. If I do get there it'll be late tomorrow night. I'm going to try my best, but if I don't make it somebody be nice and draw my name out for the kayak :)
Truro, Nova Scotia

Ocean Kayak Trident 13
Hobie Outback 'Hank Parker Fishing Edition"

www.nskayakfisher.wordpress.com

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:20 pm »
All the best to your Girl Ryan... Bummer she got hurt..

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »
i`m sorry to hear she was hurt. i hope she gets well soon. one of the other fishers had a different problem with his young daughter today on the hammond. she thought his camera was looking a little warm, so she dunked it in the water to cool it down...

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 09:19:11 pm »
Ryan, sorry to hear about the wee one's accident.  Hope she's alright and heals quickly.  For everyone attending the HRC, good luck to all of you.  I thought I was going to make it up, but unfortunately I've got a shed to build.
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:14 pm »
I'll be heading down as soon as I get up in the morning.  All packed up, just need to put some food in the cooler.  And get some sleep...

Ryan... I hope your daughter feels better soon and you get to make it.  If not take care.  I'll remind JC to put your ticket in the draw.  :)

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 09:03:59 am »
one more short nap and i`m ready for the last pre fish and the registration/capt.s meeting

one thing to keep in mind, tidal water starts at the train bridge (green) and down from there, including in front of the salmon  lodge is fly fish only and you do need a license for it. so you have to go down stream a 1/4 mile from the lodge, past the next bridge down for any other fishing or fishing with no licence required.

the little stream (Palmer's brook) that comes into the Hammond right across from the lodge is c&r in that area only now also.

water has dropped a lot in the Hammond. expect a hot and sunny day today.

Offline rocketball

• Old School
  • Native Watercraft SLayer Propel 13
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 10:56:38 am »
Ah that sucks about your daughter Ryan...Hope she heals up fast so u can get some fishin in soon!! U coming to the Salty Slam in august?

Enjoy building that shed bruce....your retired so why cant it wait untill monday haha

I am not going to be able to make it down untill sunday morning. So going to miss all the stories tonight but have a good time boys. I plan on leaving freddy at 3:15am and unloading the kayak at 4:45am at the bridge by the lodge. I'll be nice and quite so u guys over sleep!!

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2011, 07:11:06 am »
Most of us are back. I will wait for JC to post the official results. The weekend was a fun time. Some just showed up for the day of the event so I wasnt able to chat much with them regrettably but some were there Saturday night.
The river has a very diverse landscape. There are some deeper holes 16-20 foot cuts and then most is average 6 foot. It was a monster area to figure out in a day. And the way the river split off 50 times and then joined up makes it so that you come back to the next year event to fully figure out. Fishing was pretty cruddy. I might have caught 15-20 fish the entire day. Every fish was under 12 inches. I tried bottom bouncing worms to get eels and catfish. No luck. I tossed spinners for pikeral and finally found one. I ended up with 3 species, bass, pikeral, yellow perch. The winner had 5.
It was amazing to finally meet some of the guys off our site and hang out in such a beautiful area of Canada. Hammond River Angling Association has some great land overlooking a Salmon sanctuary. We watch Atlantic Salmon jumping in the spring fed cove while drinking Ale. Great times.
John Cail took Scott and I out on the St.Johns River for Stripers in the Am Sat morning. We didnt catch anything but it was cool to see some of the reversing falls area and Thanks to John. I hope your guide service flies dude!! Would be great to see that happen.
All and all Scott and I had a fun time in NB this weekend. We saw a lot of sites and met a lot of people. Fun Times for sure.
JC please post the fixed official numbers :) No way I came in 14th. lol Im guessing somewhere in the middle of the pack. And I blame it all on having to guide you around the entire time and keeping you from getting lost. haha.
Hope to get a chance to do that event again some day for sure.

Tags: