Recent

Author Topic: Hammond River Classic 2011  (Read 22345 times)

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
  • If Fishing Is a Sport I'm An Athlete
Re: Hammond River Classic 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »
I guess Im gonna make this after all. 8)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 08:15:21 am »
me too Im in!

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 10:26:54 am »
where as I have never fished a multi species tourney...I was wondering what I would need in order to do this? like rod n reel and what lb test? how long of an anchor line I would need?Lures n such?...going into this kind of blind! I have a 10' wally world striper rod. 2 ugly sticks and a lightwight rod.the 2 ugly sticks have 10'lb test and I believe 50lb test on the striper.Anyone have a check list of things I would need?

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 01:34:18 pm »
bring worm hooks and a weight system you like. A few spinners, some kind of bass baits and you should be fine. Light action rods like your zebcos will work alright for sure. The 50# stuff is a bit overkill there. I havent seen any fish be caught over 30 lbs from the guys in the area aside form one sturgeon. And you can catch the sturgeon on light gear if you play it out.

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »
oh ok...sounds good.should I register now and how deep is the water?.I need to pick up an anchor line and a new dip net.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 03:20:11 pm »
not that deep. But I havent fished a whole lot of the river. So Im not sure how deep it gets.

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
I'm registered! 8)I'm stoked!

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 08:02:57 pm »
Hey JC. Whats the event schedule look like? Is there an area for campfire? Im car camping. How late does the bar stay open :) Is the parking lot far? haha This will be my last weekend on the east coast :( Good way to go out :)

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »
Hey JC. Whats the event schedule look like? Is there an area for campfire? Im car camping. How late does the bar stay open :) Is the parking lot far? haha This will be my last weekend on the east coast :( Good way to go out :)

lol...git R done!

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »
hey Jeff, you'll be car camping with me! We'll park in the parking lot (or you can park down in the grass area where all the tents will be). The bar will be open until we say it's closed. (F.Y.I.: nobody will be checking your tents/coolers for what's inside. Just keep you "personal" refreshments outside of the lodge for legal reasons, to cover our butts type-of-thing).
As per live entertainment, I don't think we'll be getting a band this year, but the beer will be cold, and if any of you guys play a musical instrument, bring it and we'll do a jam session/kitchen party deal!

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:38 am »
hired gun, the water rarely gets over 12 feet but count on 16, most is just a foot or 2. you probably won`t need the anchor, there is almost always some easy spot to back into shore. tide will make a difference and the water will flow in and out with the tide with the flow from the Hammond itself adding in. this can make the paddle back a chore. leave the surf rod in the car for later, instead line up one of those ugly sticks with 20 lb, stripers aren`t to likely but you don`t want to break off a monster, same for the sturgeon there. i consider 17lb the lightest i`ll use for stripers although i have landed them on as little as 14lb. after over a 45 minute fight with my last one, i was glad i had it on 20lb, but it`s up to you.

no real place there for the camp fire Jeff, maybe we can arrange for a portable fire pit. the parking lot and the parking spot by the camping area are all one extended location, and there is a place to eat just on the other side of the river, Canadian and Polish i believe. about 10 minutes each way to tim hortons and macdonalds, about another 5 minutes to a canadian tire.
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline ipop

• Old School
  • Saint John N.B.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 02:07:56 am »
let me know if some one needs a tent. i have a couple one mans and a big 2 room besides the one i`ll use. if some one needs a yak i have a spare sis (the one i used at the hammond last time, freshly stripped and reglassed)
whoever has the most fishing gear when they die wins!

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:57:22 am »
Au contraire! We have a designated area for a campfire. We just have never had one there before, but the executive director said we could light one up. We didn't have one last year even though we could (nobody was interested?).
As per water depth, depending on where you fish it can range from one or two feet like ipop said, as deep as 12 + feet in some pools and on channels (if you so wish to venture off along where the Hammond dumps into the kennebecasis, for example).  As far as currant goes, the natural flow of the Hammond in the tidal stretch is negligeble, and as for the tidal flow, not a big issue either. I think what ipop is refering to is the fact that last year on his way back, he had to deal with the tide, the currant, AND the big wind we had. Those three pushing all in the same direction can be an issue if you have bad arms, yeah.

Offline HiredGun

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 11:53:05 am »
its getting closer! I have been getting my gear together for a bit now...still can't locate my tent...since we moved here 3 years ago..I also picked up a new rod,n reel combo with a quantum octane reel...more buttons than i know what to do with cuz all I ever used was a spinning reel. Maybe somone can school me on that.

Offline BKiley

• Seasoned Angler
  • Fish with attitude ...
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »
 ;DLooks like I might be able to make this one - I'll know for sure by Sunday.
BKiley

OK Trident 13
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Native Watercraft Marvel 10

Tags: