Recent

Author Topic: 2010 Trends  (Read 856 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
2010 Trends
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:05:48 am »
Wanted to recap the changing industry in our country for 2010.
1. I saw the focus turn more on carp than musky at the beginning of the year.
2. Motoryaks got more looks.
3. Chicks and fishing in the main fishing industry is a big thing.

Anyone else see some of the changes?
I see our country having more maturity and experience which is super exciting. Guys are fishing late in the season in musky tourneys on huge water. Others are well rigged and ready for any condition. Very cool. Tournaments. ha. There was only one tournament in Canada for kayakers a couple years ago. Next year there will be like 9. Crazy. ha. Also there are people getting good at specifically targeting fish. Guys taking trips to new waters and being successful. fantastic stuff. Can't wait till this time next year to look at the country on a whole. Wonder if we are going to be able to beat a 140# sturgeon in 2011. That's a tough fish to crack off a yak! Man this year has rocked!

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Re: 2010 Trends
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »
im interested to see where its gonna go.
i always find it amusing when people ask me what i do for a hobby, and i tell them Kayak fishing
i get the usually funny face, followed by a.... how do you do that.  after some explanation they
seem to come around. 
the sport, being in its infancy in this region is actually rather exciting to be a part of.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Alan High

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »
I had read somewhere that kayak fishing is the fastest growing segment in the sport fishing industry. No small wonder, it's a blast. Can't wait for spring...

Alan

Offline polepole

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:55:23 pm »
I had read somewhere that kayak fishing is the fastest growing segment in the sport fishing industry. No small wonder, it's a blast. Can't wait for spring...

Alan

Maybe percentage wise.  But still relatively small in total numbers.

And it's also the the fastest growing segment in the paddlesports industry.

-Allen

Offline Jason Holweg

• Local Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
I noticed a few more paddlers on the waters I frequent this season.  I thought perhaps it was the old, you by a new car you never ever see and then you count 6 on the way home scenario.

I still find that the $40,000 dollar boat owners laugh at me and the guys that own the tin cans think that my ride is the coolest thing they have ever seen.

Are the days gone that anglers discuss angling and not how much there boats cost? I don't know, in my opinion fishing is becoming divided by dollars and cents.

Jason
He who misses the most days of work, catches the most fish.

Offline Dan

• Ultra Light
  • "I'm gonna miss her...." -Brad Paisley
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:26:42 pm »
You know whats the most rewarding thing for me, going into a spot that's filled with 40k boats that have been pounding all day, fishing 5 minutes and catching an 8lbs pike, and Manny a 48" 'lunge right in their faces(from a yak of course).
You should have seen the looks of digust on their faces...priceless

and PS, your #3 Jeff sounds pretty good: chicks and fishing!! 2 of my favorite things in life...

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:43 am »
Over here we have been working hard to get or Angling body to except Yak fishing and open up some of the waters that do not allow them. There are a lot of bank anglers and they are anti Yak fishing - its an up hill battle but we are getting there.
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Tags: