Recent

Author Topic: Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons  (Read 20717 times)

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »
Jeff pardon my getting stuck on this,

So if I wore a pair of chest waders with warming layers, and a waterproof breathable jacket, and appropriate warming layers, with an appropriately fitted PFD, this would NOT keep you safe from the water temps.  I am also looking at MEC Semi Dry suit and they define the difference being the materials breathability, is this an option?

i ask these questions for two reasons.  One is cost.  As a beginner I hear you about taking my obsession slow.  But I will be honest.  My summers will be limited to MAYBE once a week given my other aspect of life, and I wanna get out.  So waiting until June when water temps will be safe really sucks.  if I can get out in April and paddle until October that would be ideal.

I will not sacrafice safety, I respect what you have said on this subject, but the pricing of a suit that will keep me dry that I may sweat a bit more in is Half the price....I'm gonna get that option if it DOES NOT put me at risk.

Like really $1000 bucks for these suits is crazy, and my wife will kill me if I get something like this.

If it means I saty out of the water until May-June then that's what it has to be.  My options realistically will be limited to waders, and a water proof jacket.  So if it means no cold water, it means no cold water.

Damn why do things you enjoy have to cost so much

Cheers Jeff,

Thanks for being patient with my questions

Derek

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 10:27:18 pm »
Jeff I have thought it over and everything you said makes total sense.  Do not sacrafice safety for cost.  If I can't afford the dry suit I should not be on the water.  What is a typical safe water temperature I should be yaking in without dry suit gear?

Thanks

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 10:37:21 pm »
No probs. Here is a vid about hypothermia http://www.seakayak.ws/PhotoCat.nsf/a4d1a3f4378bc17b8525662600592470/a9791cb1498ffdb185256d7d0048344b!OpenDocument
It is said that a person can last about 2 hours immersed 50 degree water. In waders you are immersed. The water enters and stays in there. Looking at the Lake Ontario buoy the temps this hour are 55 degrees. Would you ever be out alone in this kind of temperature? likely not.
If you were to wear what you are saying and be very safe then you would likely be fine. Sounds as though you are a safe kinda guy. But safety doesnt always save you. A few years ago a very very experienced kayak angelr died in Lake Ontario while paddling alone in cold water. Accidents happen. Everytime you go out just be very prepared. Read the wind trends and the forecasts. Use common sense when dealing with offshore winds and wive size and waer all gear with the idea that you are going to dump.
It doesnt take much. We arent fishing in the berring sea in house sized swells but some of you guys have kids that want you around awhile. Not me :) Im getting my nuts cut.  

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 02:35:55 am »
We have 2 golden rules here
1, Dress for the water temp never the air temp
2, White horses make copses

This is part of our kit list put together with the RNLI (SAR)

The list below has been put together after consultation with and approved by the RNLI. It is the list the RNLI are putting into their SOT and paddling policy document. Those that have not been involved in a rescue, which is most, will find a number of items surprising. But then when do you plan to be rescued. However, the number of Kayak rescues and callouts has increased significantly over the last 4 years; this is reflected in the RNLI
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:26:15 pm by Axor »
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 05:19:02 am »
im assuming that a dry suit needs to fit well.
from what ive seen they dont make suits geared towards shorter people (5'5" seems to be the shortest).  now im shorter then that, so what should i then be looking for?

*edit*
nevermind, ive noticed that size "small" would likely fit me fine.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:03:08 am by ouird »

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 07:24:50 am »
Thanks for that Axor. This is actually a great time to be talking so much about this subject as its only a couple weeks from deadly water temps throughout Canada.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45:53 am »
this is what sucks for me right now... im not geared to be out when its this cold, but im itchin to be out on the water.

i dont want to buy anything now that im going to want to replace in a few short months.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
My girlfriend dumped in NB when we went and lived :) You can get away with it still man. The temps will be decent still for a few weeks here in the lakes. All this talk is supposed to help with is preparation for when the temperatures are low. They are still pretty high. The temps off the coast are reading at 13 degrees. SO they are the ones to worry about. I like Axor's list and think it is a great checklist to follow. MAtches and a lighter is super important as well.
I don't know if I told anyone the story about my neighbor SAM. An indian man I nearly killed out of ignorance on a river guided trip. WOW! thank god he is still alive. I didnt even have a lighter or matches after he dumped in a river that was just over freezing temps. rediculous. This is super important. The story is kinda funny now but not when it happened.
I will tell you someday by the fire with a beer. lol.

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »

Well now, I surely did not expect my last comment to spur

anything like this; but so much the better. This little thread has

proved to be very enlightening, to say the least! :o  I can only

say: " Thank you Jeff, for all the effort and eloquence you have

put into your comments." Also thank you Axor for your input, I will

definitely keep it in mind, not to say "on file".

I have nothing to add  :-[;) .

Salutations

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »
You really didnt expect me to tell you about choppin my nuts eh? lol

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 07:20:13 am »
You really didnt expect me to tell you about choppin my nuts eh? lol

??? Not really. But if they're not, don't worry, it does'nt hurt... ;D.

Salutations

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »
so, ive been doing some Digging, and found some suits.
wanted to get the thoughts from the group here to see what they thought:

Hi Ouird, here's my 2 cents: the 2 items from UK are too expensive for

what they offer. Items#1 & 2 are viable; you can check them out one

against the other

Articulated cut sleeves with pre bent elbows, bum and knees. Fully taped seams. Breathable and durable mid weight, 30m waterproof, X4 ripstop nylon with ripstop Cordura elbows, knees and bum. Fourway stretch X4 breathable, waterproof and durable fully taped socks with flatlocked seams. Latex inner wrists with opening neoprene outer. Neoprene AO3 outer waist seal and X4 inner with elasticated drawcord. Front mesh zip pocket. Reflective sleeve stripes. Zip pocket on sleeve.
Unique patent pending design with easy entry and easy pee fully waterproof leg entry zip system.
Marine  Dry Suit
The ultimate performer for the coldest, hostile waters. We use the toughest fabrics and an uncompromising design,
*Latex neck, wrist and ankle seals. Protected by mesh lined neoprene.
*Fully articulated sleeve design for unrestricted upper body movement.
*Seamless crotch and articulted knees for freedom of movement for the lower body.
*Neoprene waist system for fusion with spraydeck, adjustable   
*Adjustable draw cord waist.
*Rear "Dry Zip" (Waterproof and airproof zipper).
*Hard wearing Ripstop Cordura
Salutations

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 06:17:51 pm »
i wont be using it for diving, it'll be for when im out on the ocean.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 01:00:16 pm »
I've been using the tempest pants with a dry top for fall fishing this year (what little i've been able to do thanks to this constant wind) and it is working great, but I would not be out on the ocean with this rig in November or April.  I dove in to test it out and I'd give it about 1 minute tops before water started to leak into the waistline.  I had the skirt of the dry top against my insulating layer, then the velcro bit of the tempest pants tight over that and the velcro of the dry top over that.  It certainly works wonders for splashes and quick recoveries but if you ever lost your boat it would be bad news.  That being said I will use this on lakes in the early spring, just not the salt until probably mid to late May.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Tags: