Recent

Author Topic: Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons  (Read 20523 times)

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
Re: Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 05:56:35 pm »
I am also looking at getting some decent gear, after lots of sizing up price over safety I have opted for the new gortex dry-suit from Kokatat. OK its expensive, but Kokatat have a lifetime warrenty on their gortex suits and to be honest, in the Atlantic Ocean or the Bay of Fundy you guna need the best you can get.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Old School
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 06:11:00 pm »
For the fishing you do Paul, you have no choice but to buy a quality drysuit. Stocking foot is the only way to go. The ankle cut suits are brutal to deal with. circulation gets cut off, your boots often let water leak in and then your numbed cold for the day with purple toes. Not fun. Stocking foot rocks.
Also the new suits have better knee and butt padding :) more comfy!

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 06:31:45 pm »
And hopefully it'll last a few seasons too

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »
So the T3 SuperNova Angler Paddling Suit by Kokatat is made with their Tropos (T3 = 3 layers of Tropos) and not Gortex from what I can gather - if I'm wrong let me know. I hear that the Tropos isn't nearly as breathable or as tough. Anyone have experience with the Tropos? I really like my Kokatat gortex pullover.
Kamloops, BC

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 11:04:58 am »
actually the new supanova is only T2, the T3 is now called the Meridian but in January they are releasing the Supanova in Gore-tex, thats the one to have

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 11:38:15 am »
guess im waiting till jan to rig up lol

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 04:19:38 pm »
actually the new supanova is only T2, the T3 is now called the Meridian but in January they are releasing the Supanova in Gore-tex, thats the one to have

THANKS for this info! :)
[edit] I didn't see that Jeff already gave this info - I'm a dummy  :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:26:10 pm by Wayne »
Kamloops, BC

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 05:55:43 pm »
Ouird. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to deal with late season or early season or for that matter safety in the Atlantic Ocean. If you are extra careful in planning a trip then you can get away with not having a dry suit. But accidents happen and when they do if you arent wearing a dry suit then you are screwed.
The downfall to a drysuit is that as the temps get up there and it doesnt take much, you roast. So at this point you have to ask yourself what are you gonna wear for comfort in the mid season? I wear Tempest dry pants in the summer or just shorts on overcast days. Legs fry in shorts in the sun on the water. not safe for cancer rays. You can get away with not purchasing waders and drysuit if you wear the dry suit until the bitter end when the heat comes. Then you transition to the dry pants or for that matter a pair of booties and some rain paints from CAD tire(ass gets wet and itchy if you are me...ha.)
The real question you have to ask yourself is...Are you going to let the weather determine your fishable days? Your days may only be on weekends and if you are like me you want to use them up. So early April or right after ice out on the lakes is primo time for fishing. Most people dont have their motor boats out yet and the lakes are virgin. So at this time I want out when I want out. Waves and rain is numbing but with the drysuit you are cozy.
Ask yourself the question? $$$ vs not fishing. The new T3 goretex Supernova will be around 750$ from what I am hearing through kokatat. These suits last forever with proper care also they are covered under warranty if you dont buy used.
The waders you want to buy if you buy them are breathable stocking foot. then get decent boots and layer up your clothing. If you get thick neoprenes you will regret it. they are clunky and heavy and your roast. I had ORVIS 5 mm and They were great when wading in cold water but brutal in the heat. And the boots were super clunky. 

Hi Jeff, I have a few quest. I thought the Tempest pants from Kokatat

were made for fall & spring weather, am I wrong? You use them for summer?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but you say:'$$$ vs not fishing?'  Isn't fishing

part of your income? as a fishing guide? As to us, we use our income to be

able to go fishing...There is some difference. Sometimes it's easy to get

carried away in a subject but there are other perspectives.

with respect

Salutations

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:05 pm »
Im not sure what you mean. sorry.
I do use the tempest pants for summer. I burn my legs a lot in the summer. So I use the tempest pants. If it is overcast I just wear shorts. I like to keep dry most often though.
I was trying to say that spending money on certain high quality special gear is often the only way to fish certain conditions. Paul fishes the Bay of Fundy with extreme 45 foot tides and atlantic ocean temperatures. He cant think to go the cheap route. People that think they can go the cheap route just after ice out or just before ice up and wear waders offshore will learn the hard way once. Hopefully they will live to make a better choice. Is that more clear?

I'm not sure what you meant Laurentian except that I am not able to understand where you guys are at regarding gear choices and $. Just so you understand me. I am a fishing guide. From a boat. lol. I wear goretex BassProshop bibs and pullover coat to work with flip flops and plenty of shamwows. I do not guide kayak fishing often and to be honest have only wore a drysuit with guests on one occasion. I am just like you :) I have to spend my own money on most of my gear. I promote the stuff that I know to be top quality for the $. I think that if you read all of my posts over time you will see that I do not BS. I call it like it is. If the item is crap. I will tell you. ha. But only because it was crap for me personally. It may be great for someone else. I only speak for me.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »
You CANNOT use the tempest pants safely in water temperatures close to freezing. It is not safe! You must use proper, specifically designed gear like dry suits for these conditions. You can get away with tempest pants in the spring and fall. Just not early and late. 

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »
So Jeff,

Am i to understand that breathable chest waders (with appropriate layers underneath) such as Hodgman or similar would not be safe if dumped in cold water temps like in April and Oct?  If this is the case I really have to reconsider my choices.

thanks for your honesty on this

Cheers

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »
ok. When I first started fishing from a yak. Which was only a few years ago, I wore layers and cheap CAD tire waders. Did they get me by? YES. Were they safe? NO. If you are to ask me what you should be wearing on the water in early ice out and late fall I say wear safe gear. I do not want you dying because of a bad clothing decision. Most people are done fishing already for the season from kayaks. Its 0 degrees in alot of places early morning now and it wont be long before daytime temps are there as well. If you are off shore and you dump and you cant save the yak or the canoe you are screwed. There isnt anything you can do in that situation. Laurention with his fully loaded kayak, pee can and everything will be hypothermic in a matter of ten minutes in a wader get up.

See the thing people repeat over and over to me is this misunderstanding that waders are acceptable because Jim Sammons proved they wont sink. They wont sink you. Thats what jim was trying to prove. NOT that they wont get filled up with water and cause you to become hyperthermic. Jim lives in California. Not in Canada. He hates the cold and I guarantee you he wouldnt be wearing waders up here in late fall or early spring. His ass would be in a dry suit as it is the only thing that will save your life in the event you lose your yak and have to spend a few minutes in the water.

Now can you get by with cheap waders and a bunch of layers. Yup! I did for my first season. I was cautious and made sure I wasnt in dangerous conditions to often. There were a few times when I dumped in cold stuff and luckily made it out. Enough to teach me that I needed something else.

If you guys are real careful and you are fishing shoreline or close to it and are really anglers that are just out on the nice days then you gotta judge this for yourselves. If you want answers about what is possible then you need to assess what extreme you will be interested in fishing.

I know its tough when you start this obsession with spending and spending. My advice is that you fish hard in the summer and go until the temps start to become dangerous and chill out for your first seaosn. See if it is for you and if so then splurge on a suit. dont throw to much $ in until you are 100%. Ive seen a lot of guys go gung hoe and then sell the yak all together.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »
i tried to look back in the beginning of this site for some old pics of me in my cold weather get up but couldnt. haha. I looked pretty stupid. Still do most of the time. ha.

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:45 pm »
Sage advice,

I recognized the difference between sinking and getting cold.( not to mention he was in a controlled environment a swimming pool)  In fact I am pretty sure Jim wore a dry suit when he shot the Ottawa river, I may be mistaken on this.  (no matter)

In other words you are telling me to slow down.  i hear that.  Waders are an okay idea to stay dry in, but they will not protect from the cold even with layers (not sure I understand the why of this but trust your judgement).

Thanks

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »
the why..If you lose your boat. Which happens in waves  and wind more than most think, you are gonna be in the water. Your waders eventually get water in them and you are essentially subject to the temps. Your pfd keeps you floating but you are wet all the same and the temps are what will kill you.

Tags: