Recent

Author Topic: Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons  (Read 20458 times)

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:03 am »
looking at getting these booties from MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632784&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471

but some other things im looking at getting
a pair of hip waders
(dont know much about them though)

or instead of the hip waders
a dry suit. the hard part of that for me is fitting.  adult sizes dont fit me due to my lack of vertical prowess
Junior suits are the right hight, but im a bit to big in the legs for most of them.

a water tight jacket

this Kokatat jacket fit me well when i tried it.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621098&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885981

i find the kokatat suits to also be too big for me, and the price is a bit high.

Other suggestions?

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
Re: Looking for some warm booties & clothes for the colder seasons
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »
What other type of fishing do you do?

For wading in rivers, chestwaders are the way to go.  You could get pants, these are okay, I'd like a pair but breathable chestwaders are the most versitile (I do have the kokatat pant and love them, basically the same thing but lacking the neoprene stocking).  Rule of thumb when wading with chestwaders, water no deeper than you waist, pants - don't know likely above knee, hipwaders, just knee level. 

I have wading boots for the chestwaders.  If you are using these in the yak (they'd make for bad swimming, your better off with the booties.  Get ones that fit over your chestwader/pants.

I really don't know much about the other stuff than they are $$$ and for serious conditions.  Guys (on the internet) do use waders and a dry top. 
John

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:11:50 pm »
im mainly fishing lakes, but my goal is to be properly rigged up for when i start hitting the ocean (sooner then later).
I wont be fishing rivers (to the best of my knowledge)
i also wont be wading too often.

waders are what im going towards, just hard to find with my lack of height.

would you suggest neoprene over the regular material? (re: waders).

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline phattrick

• Old School
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »
I went to Bass pro shops in Calgary (you can order on line) and got the white river breathable waist high waders www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Breathable-WaistHigh-StockingFoot-Waders/product/36975/-1471808 those and a pair of sandals I've had no real problems with the pants. a couple of times my ass got wet but that was more from sitting on it for 12 hours fishing,or tucking in a wet shirt and had nothing to do with the pants breathability trust me it's hard to breath with me sitting on ya
Hope this gives you an option
Rick
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:05:44 pm by phatrick »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
Calgary Hellberta
Malibu Stealth 12
Malibu Stealth 14

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:21:37 am »
Sorry, I don't really know much about the salt conditions you want to fish.  I seem to be wearing waders to stop the wind and keep the legs dry, mostly everyday comfort, and the perceived safety factor.  IMO I'd go with breathables over neoprene, but a lot of the concerns can be negated over proper layering (e.g next to your skin must be a layer of polypropylene or other hydrophobic fabric to wick the water away from the skin).  Do no use cotton on any of your layers - okay I cheat, cotton underwear, but do have polypro if the conditions really suck.  The downside of breathables over neoprene is the cost.  But I think since you will be paddling and exerting energy the breathability is key.  I've used my fishing chestwader in late April while kicking around in a float tube, so basically I was in the water up to my waste for two-three hours.  I was cold, but not in any danger.  I had polypropylene underwear & socks, thick wool socks, and fleece pants, as well as the same layering system above the water.  This all made for enough insulation for some very cold water.  I prefer the kokatat pant (meant for sitting/paddling) over the chestwaders (meant for wading) because of the fit, and I don't want to wear the butt out of my river gear for the sake of kayaking. 
I would guess that if you were looking for a drytop, go with chestwaders.  The drytop should work as a wading belt.  I've read about about the topic in the kayakfishingstuff forum.  There is a strong view that nothing would replace a drysuit.  To me, it all depends on the conditions, if your only going out in the summer, then subsitutes might be okay.  Extending your season into spring/fall/winter certainly changes everything. 
John

Offline Laurentian

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:07 am »
looking at getting these booties from MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632784&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471

Other suggestions?

Hi Ouird
    I can only tell you about the booties from MEC because I bought

a pair. They are nice & comfy but not all that warm ( I'm very touchy

with cold & my feet). I suugest you bring whatever you have in

warm socks before you try a pair, you might even consider bringing

the " in-felts" from a pair of ski-doo boots.

I also read a great review from Jeff about the Kokatat Tempest pants.

Hope this is of help.

Salutations

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 10:42:33 am »
Bit of a novice question on the waders.  I noticed many hip waders mention stocking foot waders.  Is that the boot?  or do you need boots over that?  Sorry for the silly questions new to yak fishing and want to make sure I am properly outfitted?

Cheers

Derek

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:43:49 am »
if its a stocking foot, then youd need a boot as well.

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 10:53:27 am »
So a wdaing boot goes over that? Is that not clunky if you get dunked in deeper water and have to swim?  Looking for something to keep me dry and safe.

Cheers

Derek

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 11:05:30 am »
yeah.
just comes down to your preference. 

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:44:47 am »
Ouird. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to deal with late season or early season or for that matter safety in the Atlantic Ocean. If you are extra careful in planning a trip then you can get away with not having a dry suit. But accidents happen and when they do if you arent wearing a dry suit then you are screwed.
The downfall to a drysuit is that as the temps get up there and it doesnt take much, you roast. So at this point you have to ask yourself what are you gonna wear for comfort in the mid season? I wear Tempest dry pants in the summer or just shorts on overcast days. Legs fry in shorts in the sun on the water. not safe for cancer rays. You can get away with not purchasing waders and drysuit if you wear the dry suit until the bitter end when the heat comes. Then you transition to the dry pants or for that matter a pair of booties and some rain paints from CAD tire(ass gets wet and itchy if you are me...ha.)
The real question you have to ask yourself is...Are you going to let the weather determine your fishable days? Your days may only be on weekends and if you are like me you want to use them up. So early April or right after ice out on the lakes is primo time for fishing. Most people dont have their motor boats out yet and the lakes are virgin. So at this time I want out when I want out. Waves and rain is numbing but with the drysuit you are cozy.
Ask yourself the question? $$$ vs not fishing. The new T3 goretex Supernova will be around 750$ from what I am hearing through kokatat. These suits last forever with proper care also they are covered under warranty if you dont buy used.
The waders you want to buy if you buy them are breathable stocking foot. then get decent boots and layer up your clothing. If you get thick neoprenes you will regret it. they are clunky and heavy and your roast. I had ORVIS 5 mm and They were great when wading in cold water but brutal in the heat. And the boots were super clunky. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:46:56 am by JeffGoudreau »

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers

Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »
Thanks Jeff.  Will likely go the breathable waders route with stocking and good boot.  Any suggestions.  Would paddling boots suffice?  The dry suit will not be in the cards for me after dropping the dough on a yak, my next step will be a combo unit.  And may look at going bassyak a la joco

Cheers

Derek

Offline fuzzytomato

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 02:43:44 pm »
Checked out MEC and found foot ware that should do the trick with waders that I found at BPS.  Next is to look for a fishing pfd, and an outer shell for the top.

Cheers

Derek

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 03:14:59 pm »
The T3 material is the material in my drysuit. Nice stuff. From what I hear they are upgrading the angler supernovas in January to have Goretex and not this T3 stuff. So for 40$ you get a better material. My sources say they will be available Jan 15th.
You can use paddle socks with breathables. Dont see why not. all they are doing is covering the material so it doesnt rip.
Electric yaks are the cats ass apparently. Havent tried one yet but some of the hardcores I know are all for them. They would work great in a bunch of the conditions I like fishing in. Might be worth a shot giving one a demo :)

Tags: