Recent

Author Topic: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit  (Read 22276 times)

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
Re: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 06:40:33 pm »
Just received my Kokatat T3 Supernova Angler.Looks like a great product.Fits well enough that the kids are calling it my supersuit.Hopefully I will get a chance to take it out before the ice hits.If not going to hit the hot tub with it on just to see how it holds up,
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »
I've liked mine pretty well but it will be interesting to see what you say about your feet when you get out.

I just can't keep my feet dry without putting on an extra barrier underneath. The thing is that it may very well be condensation as the Tropos booties offer no insulation themselves and so your perspiration is coming into direct contact with the fabric and an abrupt temperature difference...

I guess you can't expect breathable fabric to breath in to water or soaked boots like mine either I suppose, but I was still a little surprised.

What you will like I'm sure is the neoprene neck seal, the gaskets around the wrists (get some 303 Aerospace protectant from your nearest Lordco), and the relief zipper - ohhhh yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh....

Kamloops, BC

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 07:30:15 pm »
Your supposed to use a tech layer. Your feet feel wet but most off it is a tiny bit of clammy stuff. You shouldnt have anything wet in your stocking foot on that suit. If so you have a leak and need to send it back.

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »
If an NRS Hydroskin classifies as a tech layer then that's what I had to go to. Is this what you mean? http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2342
Kamloops, BC

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:16 pm »
The 303 Aerospace protectant is for the seals i'm assuming.Keeps it from drying is that right.How often do you apply it.I have a base layer and fleece to wear underneath.I figure that would work with wool socks?
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »
Yes, exactly. I could have explained that a little better. It's buried in Kokatat's site a little.

From http://www.kokatat.com/general-care-instructions

Latex gaskets need to be treated every 4–6 weeks to prevent drying and cracking. Kokatat recommends 303 Protectant, available in 2 oz. and 8 oz. sizes.

Your clothing underneath should be fine. I just thought my feet were a little past the regular clamminess but I have never used something with a fabric bootie. I think it's just a slightly higher amount of condensation than you get from most waders as they have neoprene feet. Especially since both feet feel the same. I guess we'll see.
Kamloops, BC

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »
Thats what I use. A base sock then wool then suit and then cover the suit with a bootie. I get the clammy thing all the time cause I layer with a wool sock to. It no biggy unless you are actually wet. Plus you are peddling a hobie so your bound to sweat in your feet a bit more than most.

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:37 pm »
What kind of boot do you where with the suit.I have wading boots for wading but to big and cumbersome  for the yak.Have been using teva's with my waders when kayaking but that's not really ideal.Any suggestions
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 10:54:38 am »
Up to this point, I've used Mion Fast Canyons. They are not a kayaking bootie, but rather a river shoe. I don't think they're what you're after. They offer great protection but are rather wide, low cut, and don't have neoprene insulation. They are rigid and fill with small bits of gravel. Personally I want to get a full neoprene boot for some of the reasons already mentioned.

So I am definitely not in a position to recommend a specific boot or style but for what it's worth this is what I'm leaning towards.

The T3 angler has the built in gravel guards so the high boots probably aren't the best, as they wouldn't fit under it. When you already have a dry suit, the knee high style just seems like a loss of mobility, bulk, and an annoying bump where you would have to cram the gravel guard in to.

I need protection from rocks and barnacles and the rocks of the rivers you are in will be plenty hazardous to your suit I would think.

I'm leaning towards something like this NRS ATB Wetshoe:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2335

It would be nice to hear the opinions of others but I think it's nice to have a little bit of a land adapted shoe/bootie as you can walk around sure-footed on shore/trails. Sometimes depending on the weather, you may stay in your suit for a good portion of time on land as well during a trip.
Kamloops, BC

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 08:40:07 am »
My T3 supernova suit came in a couple weeks ago and I have been out a few times, including one day I was in the suit 6 hours on the water.  It was a 55deg day with sunshine, about 10/12mph wind.  I was very comfortable and it was a hard 6 hour peddle mostly against the current on the Detroit River.

At the end of the day other than a good burn on my legs from the hard peddling, I was as dry as the day started.  I found the suit much more comfortable than wearing the Tempest Pant/Dry Top combination.  The neck was way more comfortable thant the neck on my Extrasport Dry top.

I wear a lightweight wading boot from Cabelas.  It is a size 9 boot, any bigger or wider and it wouldn't fit the peddles on the hobie.  They were the cheapest ones you could get at Cabelas around $40.  No complaints.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »
Hey Pike is it anything like this or if not does anyone know if this might work ok?I'm gussing it wouldn't be great for really cold weather but it does seem really light.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 07:57:14 am »
That would work, any cheap boot that goes past the ankle and fits underneath the velcro strap on you kokatat pants or suit. Mine have the felt bottom which I think is okay because your not walking on rocks that much. Cabelas, Bass Pro all have a cheap boot that would work in the kayak. Remember most of the expensive boots are made to hold up walking on rocks and other tough terrain.  Get a size that is slightly bigger, if it is too snug your circulation will be cut and cause your feet to go numb quicker in the colder water and weather.

I also but a neoprene sock on the outside of my suit.  Since I started doing this my feet have stayed alot warmer in the extreme cold water.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Tags: