Recent

Author Topic: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit  (Read 23110 times)

Offline brianb

• Greenhorn
Re: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 02:22:09 pm »
Thanks Jeff and Matt, I'll not be going out in open water but staying around the coastal islands, and the odd crossing detween, also the Skeena river. Your right Jeff I'm mostly on my own fishing, lots of kayaks here but I think I'm the only yak fisher.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:55 pm »
there are a couple gusy kinda close. One over in the Charlottes. The other is down in Kitimat. I havent heard Hide nor Hair from him in a year so I hope he is alright :) Quite the keener back in the day. He was creating things for his yak and stuff. If you look back in posts you might find him. Bob something. The QCI Wave in the charlottes knows some good spots. Just be carefull in the Skeena :( that sucker can get pretty crazy fast. 

Offline brianb

• Greenhorn
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »
Yah about the Skeena, had a few moments there, figured I'd paddle up stream for a few hrs. loads of bk. channels, then just cruse home, not quit, came just screaming dwn. that monster, biggest nightmare after was what if I snapped the paddle in half, would have piled my self up in some snags, probable would have had to PFB myself home. You remember when/yr. the Kitimat fellow was on.

Thanks

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 08:15:15 pm »
Bubby joe was his name. I emailed him to see if he was alive and got a quick hello a year ago. If his email doesnt show up under his name then let me know. I am sure he would love to chat with you about kayak fishing. look him up. Those rivers up there get hairy quick after rains. I had a guest almost die on me in the charlottes with a snag. Not really funny then but it is quite the story. just take good precautions and get some kinda suit for comfort and safety. Also the handheld is super important.

Offline brianb

• Greenhorn
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »
Thanks Jeff...will do

BrianB

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 08:01:07 pm »
After alot of thought I have decided not to get the new gortex suit,  I am going to buy the original supernova T3 angler suit. I'm concerned that the new suit won't be upto the abuse it will get, because the T3 is specifically desighned for fishing I think its the better choice, its also cheaper haha

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »
Apart from Jeff, has anybody had experiance using this suit, my only concern with it is that after a couple of years it might lose its waterproofing and start to leak.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 06:40:53 pm »
the only experience ive had with my suit is in my tub lol.
id be curious to know how long any suit lasts with a fair amount of usage.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 08:25:59 am »
I'm still too cheap to buy a full drysuit, maybe at the end of this year.  Using the kokatat top and pants I get about 1 minute fully submerged before I feel some water at the waist.  I just ordered a wide neoprene belt that people use to make themselves look not fat and I'm going to try tightening it at the seam where the dry top and pants meet and see if it gives me a bit more time before leaks.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:41 am »
After reading ALOT of reviews I think it'll be good for quite a few seasons, I know Jeff has had his for a while with no problems so I think I'll save the money on a goretex suit and get the Supernova T3 angler...SORTED!

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 10:37:57 am »
Looking for a bit of input on pros and cons of paddling pants and tops over waders and wading jacket.I have been using my wading gear for some time now when kayaking.It is a bit cumbersome but keeps me very dry and warm.I have never used paddling clothing so I am not sure what the up sides are,Thanks
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline hoc

• CKA Team
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Delta Catfish, Necky Chatham
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 11:11:12 am »
It really depends on the top and bottom.  Of course the dry suit is going to offer superior protection and peace of mind but unless you are fishing cold water in the ocean or great lakes I don't think they are at all necessary.  When it comes to combos I think heavy waders and a paddle top are less than ideal and far from secure or comfortable.  Lightweight breathable waders or dry pants with an actual dry top with gaskets is the ideal alternative in my opinion.  With some creative pairing you can get a few minutes of water protection before they leak, which is enough to self-rescue in most conditions, plus in the summer you can strip down to just the pants and be comfortable.

Level Six Ambassador
Aqua Bound Ambassador
Redington Pro Staff
RIO Pro Staff

Offline PikeCreek

• Old School
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 04:43:28 pm »
thanks guys,
this post has helped me pick the Kokatat T3 Supernova Angler suit which I just purchased.  I have been getting by with the tempest pants and dry top for a couple years now but, to go out on the lake and worry about the call of nature when you are out a couple miles from launch and can't do nothing about it isn't much fun.

I am hoping to still do some lake fishing, possibly Bay of Quinte, Lake Erie either Huron, Ohio or Monroe Michigan for trophy Walleye.  For those of you over 50 you know what happens to your ability to go a long time without answering that call and in the cold water and weather it seems to be even worse.  I will not have to worry with the relief zipper on the suit.

I was able to get the suit on sale for $418 at Clavey Paddlsports.  They have one suit left, size XXL.

http://pka.canadiankayakanglers.com
Hobie Adventure Island, Hobie Revolution, Hobie PA 12, Hobie Quest 11

Offline Fishnhound

• Old School
  • Jackson Kayak Fishing Team Kokatat Ambassador
    • Fishnhound - Kayak Fishing
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 09:12:57 pm »
I have one on the way as well.Hope it shows up before the ice does though.
Stephen Laurie
Calgary, Alberta

Jackson Coosa
Jackson Cuda 12
Jackson Big Tuna

Offline wavechaser

• Local Pro
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 04:53:39 pm »
" I have spoken to a few white water kayakers who dont use drysuits (they use a pair of tempest pants, and top notch paddling jacket), and they have mentioned that when they are in the water they take on very little.  one of which had said at one point they were in the water for over an hour, they took on maybe a litre total." - ouird

I'm fairly sure that was me & the water came in through my ankles (because I'm using IR's splash pants- only neo ankle gaskets)
Boats:
Wavesport Ace4.7
Wavesport ZG 48
Dagger Atom
Wilderness Systems Shaman
Wilderness Systems Alamax
Perception Prodigy 10
Point 65 Sea Cruiser
Liquid Logic CR80
Liquid Logic Trigger
Liquid Logic Lil'Joe
Liquid Logic Hoss

When is it too cold to paddle?
Air Temp in Fahrenheit + Water Temp in Fahrenheit + Your IQ = if it equals less than 100 Stay Home

Tags: