Recent

Author Topic: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit  (Read 22337 times)

Offline matt@kokatat

• Greenhorn
Re: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 03:25:02 pm »
Hi all, my name is Matt and I work for Kokatat.  I wanted to add some information about the our New Lightweight paddling suit to the discussion.  Hopefully it will clear up any questions.  Please tell me if you have any questions or comments.  you can also call me at 800-225-9749 or 707-822-7621.  I've tried to answer all the questions that were brought up during this thread but tell me if I missed anything.  I'm not sure where the product description of the suit came from but we don't have the Lightweight Paddling Suit up on our website yet because it isn't available until 1/15/11 (in two days).  I have attached the official press release on the suit.

The Lightweight Paddling Suit is very similar to the SuperNova Angler suit that you have right now.  The zippers are the same waterproofness, and the neck is similar but has a different adjustment system.  It is a more breathable fabric but is just as waterproof as the Supernova Angler.  It isn’t going to be as durable as the Angler suit for fishing because it doesn’t have the cordura reinforcement on the entire front of the legs.  It does have reinforcement on the knees and seat but not the entire front leg.  What really makes the paddling suits different from our full drysuits isn’t the zippers but the neck closure.  The only time you would really get wet in either the Supernova Angler or Lightweight Paddling suit is if your head is under water a lot or for prolonged periods of time.  You would probably get the layering around your neck wet.  We put the neo neck on these suits because the latex neck is a little overkill and restrictive if you aren't going to be under water all of the time.

The Lightweight Paddling suit was really designed for recreational paddling, fitness paddling, and SUP.  The fabric is GORE-TEX  performance shell which is lighter weight and more breathable than our GORE-TEX immersion pro shell fabric that we use in the GORE-TEX suits with neck gaskets on them. 

The Tempest pant combo will take on water when you get fully immersed in the water.  This is a totally different system from our paddling suits or dry suits.  The tempest pant combo is designed to keep you dry while you are in your boat or immersed up to the waist.  Once you go past the waist you run the risk of getting your layering wet.  In a whitewater situation the paddler has the added protection of their skirt tunnel to keep the top bottom combo more tightly combined and provide an additional layer that the water needs to penetrate before it reaches your insulation layer.  If you are using a sit on top boat you won’t have the skirt tunnel to assist the combination.” 

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »
Thanks Matt, thats cleared that up, my worry was that if I ever got parted from my yak and had to spend any time in fairly cold (but not near freezing) water it would save my bacon, and by your reply it would. I got the info from the MEC website as they are my only local supplier but because of their policies I will probably go mail order.

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 04:07:35 pm »
Matt, thanks very much for helping to clarify this and Jeff good points made.

I hope I didn't come across as snarky, I'm just chomping at the bit to get this if the zippers are good. To be honest, it was the comments on MEC's site that got me wondering. They really describe it in a less than optimistic way:

"It's water-resistant rather than waterproof, so you need to be as quick on the re-entry self-rescue as you are on the draw stroke."

That quote doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632793&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885970

I hope this is the same suit or I'll die of embarassment :O

And NO, I wasn't going to buy from MEC so don't crash my karma lol :D

So then when I sent a note asking about this and didn't get a clear answers on those zippers...

Thanks for all the input from everyone and Matt I'll make sure to give you a call if I have any more questions.

This is sounding a lot better - I can't wait.

Cheers all,

Wayne
Kamloops, BC

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »
Damn MEC! Matt, we are MEC haters, that is until they change their no hook no bullet policy :)
Thanks for helping us figure this suit out and I am glad you are on the site for our future questions.

Offline matt@kokatat

• Greenhorn
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »
.   The zippers on all of these paddling suits and our T3 drysuits  (T3 swift entry, and T3 Meridian) is the TiZip Masterseal zipper.  We categorize this zipper as a surface zipper.  The difference between the TiZip and the beafier OEB dive zipper that we use on our other GORE-TEX suits is that the OEB zipper is tested to 60 feet of depth.  Kokatat is confident that the TiZip will keep you dry.  You may get a few  drips getting through the zipper after prolonged immersion but nothing that is going to compromise you comfort or safety. 

Again the only time you would really get wet in either the Supernova Angler or Lightweight Paddling suit is if your head is under water a lot or for prolonged periods of time.  You would probably get the layering around your neck wet.

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 02:24:39 pm »
It sounds like the perfect balance between comfort and safety.

That's the kind info we need Matt, thank you  :)
Kamloops, BC

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 03:21:32 pm »
the supernova that I have is wicked. Im not sure what the cost is now but it is pretty mint compared to my last suit. Super comfortable and I have no stresses about design. Ive spent a bunch of time in it and no leaks yet. You would have to swim underwater a bit to get leaks down the neck as well. No chance of it splashing in. I have been in some cruddy stuff over the last few years and this suit is more than enough for it. The pisser hole is a good deal too :)

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:49 pm »
Getting proper answers from someone that actually works with the product in question  is both rare and invaluable. My confidence in this suit has been totally restored haha, thanks Matt

Offline matt@kokatat

• Greenhorn
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »
Again, I think that the SuperNova Angler Suit is better for kayak fishing than the GORE-TEX lightweight Paddling suit because the Angler has better rienforcement on the front of the legs.

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »
Do you think that the breathability of the T2 or T3 will be an issue when used in warm conditions compared to Gore-tex?

Offline matt@kokatat

• Greenhorn
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 06:36:10 pm »
No the Tropos breaths well.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14:48 am »
Hey Matt. One of the guys asked about customization. I wonder what the cost is for customizing a suit for a guy?
Also do you have stats on immersion times before death in certain water conditions while wearing the full immersion suits? How do you guys test your suits regarding that kinda thing?

Offline brianb

• Greenhorn
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 09:45:08 pm »
Matt/Jeff what does Kokata mean when they say the T3 supernova angler is not intended to replacedry suitin more challenging conditions ? Like its not a replacementv for a survival suit, thats understandable, but would it be say ok for northern BC Prince Rupert area yr. round, of course this always depends on you surviving by being able to get bk on your yak and out of the water. Jeff I thought I noticed you saying you would use something else were you triping up this way
Thanks BrianB

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:50 am »
IMO if I was fishing in the Hecate or where I lived in the Charlottes I would get a full immersion suit. I had an immersion suit when I was there. But if you are just fishing in the bays and rivers and maybe down south towards Alcan land then you arent in need of a full immersion suit. Keep in mind as well that you can get open ankle cut immersion suits for pretty cheap. not as comfy but are designed to be immersed. It all depends on the angler. I had a lady call me up about my yak for sale and she was listening to me and started laughing as I answered her question "is it good in rough water". ha. I told her about dealing with 80 km winds and chop and this and that. She said there is no way she would be in 30 km winds. All this stuff depends on who you are really.
I bet you arent fishing with a lot of partners up in your neck of the woods Brian. So a good suit is something to not take lightly. As is a  handheld and GPS is a necessity as well.

Offline matt@kokatat

• Greenhorn
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »
Jeff,
       The amount of time you can remain in the water all depends on the insulation that you have under it.  The suit is your sheild against getting wet.  It provides warmth in the sence theat you don't get your layering wet but if you didn't wear ony insulation under it you would still loose heet do to conductive heat loss (the cold temp of the water that you are in).  You want to dress for the swim so you want to wear enough insulation under you suit so that if you end up in the water you can be confortable and safe.  You want to take into account the temp of the water and the amount of time you think you would be in it. 

As for custimization, we don't offer custimization (shortening, lengthening, pockets, etc) on the paddling suits only the full dry suits.  Shortening costs $17.00 for legs, $17.00 for arms and would be a 6-8 week.  Lengthening the arms or legs is $65.00each and is a 8-10 week lead time because we have to hand cut the suit.  Pockets ($44.00) or reflective tape ($34.00) would be a 6-8 week lead time.

Tags: