Recent

Author Topic: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit  (Read 22275 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
Just wanted to let you guys know of a product Kokatat is releasing this winter. They have taken the T3 Supernova Paddling suit and souped it up a bit. Looks like they are changing the shell to be a goretex performance shell. Lighter in weight and they beefed up the areas that we use more as paddlers. The butt and the knee pads are reinforced. They have also added an adjustment feature to tighten and lossen the already comfortable neoprene collar. This suit is looking pretty mint. Set up to sell for Jan 15/11

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
Re: Kokatat***New Lightweight Performance Shell Dry Suit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:08 pm »
Any idea how much it will sell for, I'd better get saving cos it sounds expensive

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »
lol. Likely. Im really not sure. I can ask though. I will get back to you paul. But mark my words this is the cats meow man.

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »
I'd prefer to say the dogs bo###cks :P

Offline brianb

• Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:21 pm »
Jeff.....When you get the price would you pls. post here.

Thanks
BrianB

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »
I will find out for you guys as soon as I know.

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:59:14 pm »
in for price too
do they make dry suits for vertically challenged people?

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
I sure would like a suit like that but I can't afford the cost of my boat all over again.
   I think it's time to win the lotto
Belly

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »
I have just looked at the Kokatat website and was surprised to read this-
Kokatat Lightweight Paddling Suit (Unisex)

Weight: 1.106kg (Large)

Drysuits are great for all-around paddling. But for cold-water performance kayaking, training, or racing, they can be heavy and restrictive. So Kokatat has taken their basic front-entry drysuit and modded it for high-output users.

The fabric is light and highly breathable GORE-TEX® Performance Shell. Instead of a latex neck gasket, there's a less-restrictive neoprene seal. In place of heavy metal-toothed zippers there are lighter, suppler, watersports types.

Note that these specializations make it a paddling suit, not a prolonged-immersion drysuit. It's water-resistant rather than waterproof, so you need to be as quick on the re-entry self-rescue as you are on the draw stroke. Providing you are, this paddling suit can deliver a whole new world of comfort and mobility as you push your personal envelope.

•Main body fabric is GORE-TEX® Performance Shell.
•All seams are fully taped.
•Integrated Tropos T3 socks and adjustable neoprene overcuffs.
•Relief zip.
I am talking about the bit saying its no good for prolonged immersion. correct me if I am wrong but I thought that was the whole point of getting a drysuit, otherwise you could buy the Tempest pants and top for a fraction of the price and be just as protected.

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:58:44 am »
correct me if I am wrong but I thought that was the whole point of getting a drysuit, otherwise you could buy the Tempest pants and top for a fraction of the price and be just as protected.

I hear ya.I've been chatting back and forth with a guy from Kokatat and I ended up saying almost the same thing. He said I should get in touch with them by phone or talk to a rep as it was too complicated by email.

The thing is that it's not complicated. I get that the neck seal wouldn't be a 100% but you have some control over that part of your body in the water. After that, the breathability of Gortex and good solid zippers with a flap over them and some good reinforcement on the legs. I specifically asked about the waterproof-ability of the zipper if left to bob around in the pacific for an hour and they didn't think it was suitable.

Like I think I mentioned before, unfortunately this doesn't appear to be an angler suit.

I don't know what to do because I don't think it's worth getting the T3. Either invest in the right thing or nothing because you're stuck with it. My Kokatat drytop is very good and the gortex is amazing stuff.

?
Kamloops, BC

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:43:52 am »
Well. I am hoping I can get a full write up or a comment from Kokatat to try and explain the suit itself. But as far as I can see this suit is not to the standards their dry suits meet regarding full immersion dry suit technology.
To call something 'not an anglers suit' you gotta ask, what is an anglers suit? For some it is a full immersion suit, for some it is this exact suit. This year after I posted the water temp warnings I didnt see one person go out except Pikecreek and GL down in Michigan on small rivers. Even they wouldnt have needed a full immersion suit because at worst they would flip and swim to shore 30 feet.
If you want a full immersion suit then you buy a full immersion suit. They are double the cost of this suit or more. They are designed for paddlers that may be paddling in sub temps and may require a float from whatever for an hour or so before rescue or swim to shore. These are not fishing suits and a fisherman was never thought of during the process of design.
My personal suit is the one they originally designed for the anglers. It wouldnt be in the same class as the full immersion suit. It has a neoprene gasket around the neck. Perfect for flipping the yak in freezing cold water and then getting back in. Ive swam in it as well and had no issues of water pouring down the collar. But if and when I paddle a bunch in big, open, freezing crap like one of these multi day expedition dudes I will get a full immersion suit for that kinda thing.
Fact is that we dont really get ourselves in conditions where we need this kinda suit. IMO. Maybe the odd guy on the coast fishing with offshore winds. So you can either overkill your suit to say that you are protected for arctic conditions or you can have a suit that is designed for our conditions.
Either way it depends on who is reading this. I love my suit and would fish in it for anything coastal and interior. I hope that I get up far north this season though. I might need a full immersion for that :)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:10:11 am »
I just looked at the Goretex performance shell pants. They look pretty lightweight alright. I have a feeling that the material mine is made out of is more thick and like a traditional dry suit. Its hard to see on the pics but I think that the material would press right up on the skin without an under layer and would not be designed at all for prolonged exposure. huh. Well. we can see what they recommend anyways as they designed it and test it out.

Offline ppaauull0

• Old School
  • WS Tarpon 160
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:21:31 am »
So you would still recommend the paddling suit over the T2 or T3 Supanova. I suppose it comes down to actually how long can you be in the water before the zips start to leak, if its only a couple of minutes I don't think I would bother with it but if its 15mins+ then I can see the advantages over the Tempest Pants a top combo

Offline John Gibson

• Administrator
  • Old School
  • Team CKA
    • Canadian Kayak Anglers
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:33 am »
I have spoken to a few white water kayakers who dont use drysuits (they use a pair of tempest pants, and top notch paddling jacket), and they have mentioned that when they are in the water they take on very little.  one of which had said at one point they were in the water for over an hour, they took on maybe a litre total.  i found that to be very little.  I have my drysuit, and im happy with it, but im also tempted to get a pair of tempest pants, to go along with my paddling jacket as a spring outfit.  i have a pair of waders, so the pants really arent a rush for me.

Ocean Kayak Pro-Staff Member
Aquabound Pro-Staff
Scotty Pro-Staff

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

Follow CKA on Twitter  @CANkayakanglers

Offline polepole

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:40 am »
in for price too
do they make dry suits for vertically challenged people?

Kokatat will custom size suits for you at a very reasonable price.  They did it for me.

-Allen

Tags: