Recent

Author Topic: 2011 Goodies to look forward to  (Read 1342 times)

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
2011 Goodies to look forward to
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
Not sure if all of you are privy to this info but here are some of the kayak stuff coming out for 2011.
Ocean Kayak's new model yak that is actually not really new but in fact imported from the UK where it has been a hit(long story but UK Ocean kayak is a seperate entity) The OK Ultra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aooRwW7wxRE Looks real sweet. Though the 15 tridents are heavy so Im guessing these are to. The new rod pod looks better though. Pre fabbed mounting surfaces which can be a blessing for morons like me or for the good rigger it can be a bit of a handicap seeing as how you can really place things where you want them. But what I really like about the new rod pod is the proclaimed stability. I have experienced flooding with my T-15 on surf launches and I nearly lost a yak that way due to the instability of this area. Hope its as good as they are saying :)
WS is bringing an extended Commander out 14 footer. They took home the boat brand of the year award two years in a row now. This 14 footer is just as light as the 12 footer at 68 lbs. So they are working on the heavy aspect of the boat. http://www.wildernesssystems.com/news_item/index/news_and_events/news/commander_140_launches/
Hobie seems to have exhausted themselves with their pro angler back in the day. Cant seem to find anything on them at the Outdoor retailer show. But I will search harder.
If you want to check out any of the non-kayak stuff that is new for the outdoorsman then have a look at the SNEWS video series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3m1kG9uT6U&feature=related Everything from knives to bamboo water bottles. Or have a quick tect and pic peek at the products showcased. http://www.outdoorretailer.com/summer-market/show/product-showcase

Offline rrdstarr

• Ultra Light
Re: 2011 Goodies to look forward to
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:59:39 am »
Someone posted two weeks ago, some forum, that you can buy the "new" rodpod lid for a $100 and it will fit the previous model anglers.
-Rick
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Pygmy Borealis XL w/ Scotty rod holders

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:09:55 am »
wouldnt that be cool. If you could buy one and replace the old one. They should just offer a recall. ha.

Offline Axor

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:21:17 pm »
Yep its true, we have some coming over I think, they are a lot stiffer and with the attachment bits Im sure they will be a big hit with the T11 and T13 users, the only thing we don't like is the price $99.00 US so who knows what we will have to pay
:-(
Trident 13
Prowler 13
Grandslam

Offline gl_yak

• Southern Ontario Trip Planning
  • Seasoned Angler
  • Daniel
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:20 pm »
Jeff wrote;
"Ocean Kayak's new model yak that is actually not really new but in fact imported from the UK where it has been a hit"

Isn't Elite actually manufactured in NZ not UK

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:11:57 pm by gl_yak »

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:53 pm »
I will find out GL from the horses mouth. ha. Just give me a few. I might have misunderstood Jim when he was talking to me about it. I will ask John 'toast' Oast from the youtube vid. He will know.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 07:32:08 pm »
yuup...the UK...you r right...

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:10 am »
Looks like Hobie did make a couple updates. They updated their tandems to be more for fishing. Front person can control the rudder now as well as the back and they put a couple of flushmount rod holders in and added the map pockets on the sides. They redesigned the whole boat apparently. Also they made an adjustment to the Pro Angler stearing control to allow the driver of the boat to change the rudder control to the left hand or right hand side of his/her seat. Nice.

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:28:14 am »
the mod on the Pro Angler is a good one. It alwways was able to be moved left or right but it was located under the edge of the seat. Folks found it uncomfortable there. Only problem with the new one is to move to the other side requires the purchase of a kit, at least that's how I understand it.
   Native has some sweet updates for '11 as well, love the new camo
Belly

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:05:53 am »
share BB. What is Native doing?

Tags: