Recent

Author Topic: Rock Bass  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
Rock Bass
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »
May 1 2010
Splake
Ompah Ontario.
Matuka (dk. olive).

1st picture from a yak, Actually I had another 17" splake earlier in the day, towed him around the lake and tried to get a friend to take a picture.  The splake recovered quite well in the cool water and while my buddy was trying to figure out how to use a zoom, it thrashed off the stringer.  Lippy is out there somewhere.

This a better picture from my buddies camera.  I only had two fish all weekend, one trolling a fly on a type V sinking line and this one.  It was rising for midges (the whole lake was slick with them and the splake's stomach was quite full).
John

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
Re: Rock Bass
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:17:02 am »
Aww. Im super bummed. My work blocks the pictures. Guess I gotta wait till home to see these fish :( A splake? thats awesome!!

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:10 am »
beauty fish!!!
   I used to love catching splake as a kid, sadly they no longer stock them into Georgian Bay.
Belly

Offline Wayne

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:54 am »
That's a nice broo.. I mean la.... hey nice fish. And on a fly too, nice to see :D
Kamloops, BC

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:52:15 am »
That's a nice broo.. I mean la.... hey nice fish. And on a fly too, nice to see :D

Go ahead and say it...  It is a Frankenfish  :-X, um a splake.  They taste and fight good, picky as all hell, I'm quite appreciative to be able to fish for them (or most anything else), but something isn't quite right about it.  I don't think of them with the same respect as I would a Lake Trout from self sustaining Algonquin Park population.  I fish a lot of stocked waters, but are they toys or an appropriate part of our ecosystem?  Bottom line is that if they weren
John

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:34:47 am »
What? No!! lol. I love splake :) Coming from the south there is not much option for that kinda fishing. I remember my first Splake up on the northern channel. I caught it on a perch colored grandma that I was tossing for big pike. I was super excited as it was a beautiful fish. you are indeed lucky to catch these fish. Im jealous :( haha. When they are dominant and the only thing around I guess it would get boring but I think thats the Canadian kayak fishing record right now. haha. Cause I havent seen one posted. actually right now I cant see your pic. lol as its blocked here. Id throw that in the hall of fame dude.

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:27:12 am »
May 21
1 of 2 landed, and 2 lost (same size)
Rainbow Trout
North Kawartha's
Fly:chenille zonker (green) with stinger (anlge flash)

I caught this one trolling near an island, 15" and very chunky.  Almost immediately after I landed him I got another strike, but operator error lost the fish.  I had a bit of a snarl in the fly line and try to give it a little slack to play with the knot, that is all it took to loose it.  Then I trolled some weeds along along the lake, cleaned it up and got another hookup.  This one fought like a rocket, jumping and thrashing, but lost it near the boat as well.   The 1st hook up was a recently stocked fish, likely 6"-7".  I'm thinking that the 15" fish was stocked last year.  I upgraded nets as well, I had a short handled trout net, it was useless against the splake, they kept flipping out.  This one seems better (lucky strike), but I don't like the extending handle, I'd rather it be fixed.

John

Offline Bellybuster

• Seasoned Angler
    • Bellybuster Brewery
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:33:34 am »
that's a beauty bow, they hit like a freight train.
Belly

Offline stroover

• Streamside Pro Staff; Hammond River Angling Association Vice President.
  • Old School
  • If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!
    • JC Cormier's Fishing Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:16 pm »
Rockbass, is that a measuring sticker on your paddle? Isn't it uncomfortable, or does it not go all the way to where you hold the paddle?

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 01:42:42 pm »
Stroover I'm thinking it's a 36" tape, I guess I don't notice it at all, my hand must be down there.  It's on the left side and I'm right handed, I use an offset grip, so I totally relax the grip when going back the right hand stroke.  I didn't think that the tape would stick to the boat in a useful location.  This seems like the best option.

Bellybuster, the rainbow pretty much hits the fly with full out aggression and fights like a smallmouth.  Right now the upper reaches of the water temps are pretty high, the fish died on the stringer (not ideal, but it still tasted great).  I likely won't go back until fall, I want to concentrate on walleye, try a pike outing and cruise into Bass season (where most of summer fishing will be spent). 
John

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:28:54 am »
May 24
Caught a bunch of Rock Bass, Yellow Perch, an OOS Bass and an under slot Walleye.  I woke up pretty early and had the river to myself, worked along some weed lines but really didn't catch anything.  The river was still moving pretty fast, so I worked the shoreline and channel while being pushed downstream.
Perch
Otonabee River
Pink Grub on black jig head

Rock Bass
Otonabee River
Pink Grub on black jig head.
John

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 10:19:17 am »
Hey Rock Bass, that is an interesting colouration on the perch.  I've never noticed one with such prominent spots between the triangular stripes.  Seeing the spots on the rock bass, that almost looks like a crossbreed.

Offline JeffGoudreau

• Old School
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:50:23 pm »
Great Job on the multi species man. That Rainbow is a killer rainbow!
Notice the parasitic desease the Perch has. Its Black Spot desease. Ive seen them pretty heavily affected by the desease. That ones not bad.

Offline BobD

• Old School
    • NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:20 pm »
Black Spot disease?  Is that common?  I've never noticed anything like that around my area, but then I never looked.  What is the affect of the disease?

Offline Rock Bass

• Seasoned Angler
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »
I usually toss most fish back, if they have blackspot, I definately don't bother with them.  Perch and Rock Bass seem to get it the worse.  It's just a parasite, unsightly, sometimes, but if thoroughly cooked does not pose a threat to humans.  It does go right through the skin and into the flesh, looks like you pre-peppered your fish.  Some fish can get completely covered by it.
John

Tags: